Web browser with temp downloads

As far as I know they all have a temp download location, that is unless there are browsers that do not support downloading files.

The above listed browsers have the ability to 'Run' or 'Save' files. Chrome, Opera15, etc, they only 'download'.

This way, the browser can clean its temp files with the in-built tools. Also allows to have a neat folder structure in Downloads directory, not just a steaming pile of trash.

The above listed browsers have the ability to 'Run' or 'Save' files. Chrome, Opera15, etc, they only 'download'.

This way, the browser can clean its temp files with the in-built tools. Also allows to have a neat folder structure in Downloads directory, not just a steaming pile of trash.

So it is better to have the ability to Run?

So it is better to have the ability to Run?

Using Chrome:
I open up 213234 email attachments, or Java downloader, or anything. It all goes straight to Downloads folder by default, unless I check a box to say "ask before downloading". If this is ticked, it asks me where to shove stuff. I gotta open stuff myself.

Using IE, Opera12, etc:
When I click on email attachments, I can either Save or Run. Save - this prompts me where to save. Run automatically downloads the file into set directory (users/tmp, or a subdirectory in program files.. you get the idea) and automatically opens the file with no input from me. My Downloads directory or wherever I choose remains neat and tidy. My 'cache' of temp downloads is a mess, but I don't care because CCleaner and browser inbuilt 'clear cookies, cache, etc' setting removes this for me.

tl;dr - it's not personal taste, it's basic functionality.

I save most downloads, but there are times I choose run instead. Even when choosing run, the app normally can still be found later within the browser default download location.

Back