Web filter (important)

Okay, here's a hypothetical situation:

Let's say a guy needs to cut himself off from a specific website. It's gravely important that he completely forbid this website without giving him a way of changing the settings so that he can. He's going cold turkey.

And let's suppose that he already installed K9 Web Protection but it's not working completely. He's been checking this site occasionally to make sure that he's cut off (yes, paranoid) and occasionally he's getting through. This has made him very scared, because he's starting to worry that he's unable to cut himself off.

Would TechSpot be able to help him find alternative solutions? He's done much research but unfortunately most of the common solutions (editing host files, et al) can easily be undone when he gets the urge to visit the site.

Hmm; the hypothesis is a tad questionable to me and smacks of remotely controlling an arbitrary user (ie hacking).

As this site (techspot) is not the sole site offering users assistance,
it would be impossible to block all such sites (can't block what you don't know or might occur in the future).
In addition, as noted, effective blocking would of necessity be OUTSIDE that users system.

I am. One of their support people replied just a little while ago, in fact. I'm hoping I can get this figured out but I'm here anyway just in case. I want to be ahead of the curve if I have to switch.

Those links are good, but, like I said, I can just edit the host file back myself.

And that second link is to this very thread. :/

Block the website in your router, then get someone to change the password.

Awesome, thank you.

I am. One of their support people replied just a little while ago, in fact. I'm hoping I can get this figured out but I'm here anyway just in case. I want to be ahead of the curve if I have to switch.

Those links are good, but, like I said, I can just edit the host file back myself.

And that second link is to this very thread. :.
After I saw some of the replies, I had thought about deleting my threads, but didn't, obviously. I don't know how that one link to this thread got there, I'm only human :)

Did anyone consider the impact of using an anonymous proxy? (hint: you can't just block the website being accessed)

Update: My issue is resolved! The tech I talked to informed me that because the website in question has an HTTPS address I have to block multiple IPs for it to be entirely blocked.

Back