Weekend Open Forum: Are you an early adopter?

Scorpus

Staff member

In the fast pace of the technology world, there are many opportunities to jump into the market early each and every year. If you've got a smartwatch on your wrist, Google Glass on your head, and a 4K television in your living room, you've probably already done so in recent times.

I fondly remember picking up the first Android handset, the HTC Dream, in 2009, kindling an early love for smartphones. I also recall running several beta builds of Windows as my daily driver, which for numerous reasons isn't the best idea when you want everything working correctly.

What times have you been an early adopter? Or do you always wait for the technology to mature before jumping in? Let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

I always wait for the hype to settle and then when the product matures I jump in. I almost jumped into the Netbook bandwagon a few years ago but in the end I won a free iPad from my job. Netbooks fizzled out and tablets became more popular.

I use Windows Phone. Noone uses it you say? I'm just an early adopter then, it's going to get popular one of these days, really.

I'm not a early adopter. I can't see a situation where I would really need to buy the latest & greatest thing. Once the price drops after a year or so, I might look into the technology. By this point many of the bugs should be worked out and the real utility of the device known.

I'm not for the stuff I do buy. Still waiting to make the 4K move.

If the cash was there then sure why not, but unfortunately there is always a giant big hole in my pocket ^^

Not really.
usb 3.0 has been around for a few years. only this year that I bought three usb 3.0 external hard disk drives (hitachi touro).

SSD is one storage solution which I want but I keep on not buying it as my favorite computer parts store in the Philippines does not yet carry Samsung 840 ssd series. besides, local prices for other brands/models are way higher than those of the u.s. ...

Last edited:
I'm usually not an early adopter. One exception years ago was when laserdiscs first came out I bought a Pioneer laserdisc player.

Not usually an early adopter, but was with hi def tv. Liked it for sports, but starting to think that is dumb. Players salaries skyrocket, but no chicago team ever wins. Where are those bullies that caused school to be a living hell? Not on these teams. Called me a fag when I didn't want to play tackle football without helmets or uniforms. Violation of the constitutional right to an education.

I find that I have a lot more patience now than I did when I was younger. I used to count the days until the official launch of a product, but now I'm quite comfortable waiting for a good sale.

Not usually an early adopter, but was with hi def tv. Liked it for sports, but starting to think that is dumb. Players salaries skyrocket, but no chicago team ever wins. Where are those bullies that caused school to be a living hell? Not on these teams. Called me a fag when I didn't want to play tackle football without helmets or uniforms. Violation of the constitutional right to an education.

1. Sucks to be a Chicago fan... Well, unless you like hockey. But at least you know from the start of the season the Cubs have no chance – the Braves have been toying with our feelings for nearly two decades.
2. Plain clothes tackle football is perhaps the single most satisfying physical activity next to weightlifting and running. You have missed a savory slice of pie, my friend.
3. There is no constitutional right to an education.

I'm not really an early adopter but I'm not a late adopter either. You could say I jump on the tech bandwagon one it has proved itself and come down into mainstream price ranges.

I'm a reasonably early adopter, though less so these days than I used to be, due to lack of time to play with tech and not being the sole arbiter of what I spend my money on. I used a Windows phone (even two) before most people (had a Window Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 6.0 phones), I have four sets of LCD glasses going back to '96 I think. I'd love to own a Google Glass, and I think that Oculus and Omni are cool.

But really, I'm not that much of an early adopter these days, even though I want to. I do like to experiment and "live dangerously", buy a cheap Chinese phone or a Windows 8" tablet. Sometimes I'm behind the curve though. Went back to a Nokia phone for convenience for a long while after my Motorola DEFY, and only recently moved back to an Android phone.

Edit: Oh, and I had a Palm watch.

Last edited:
If I had the money I would buy a professional standard 4K camcorder. I would not be worried about getting a 4K TV straight away as my reasoning is the recording quality is the most important factor. Actually 4k monitors are not so expensive now and I suspect that a reasonable PC would happily cope with 4k video. 4k gaming is not that much interest to me.

Depends on what it is but yes in some cases I like to see things early on. Just got a 4k monitor a week ago...

So, would it be fair to say you're, "once bitten, twice shy"? :D
Not really. It was fine while it lasted. I still have a combo laserdisc/DVD player that works fine and can play my laserdiscs but I've moved on to Blu-ray. Consider a lot of people had video tape machines but now they are obsolete too but I doubt too many are kicking themselves with regret for having bought them. Time and technology march on.

It's just too easy to push buggy code out the door and expect an update to fix software issues in the future. Unfortunately, that's been the case too many times and I just don't have the patience for version 0.9 products any longer. Let it mature, become full featured, and stable before asking me to shell out cash.

Back