Weekend Open Forum: Do you like product leaks?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

wof

A few months ago, BlackBerry CEO John Chen filed a lawsuit against a party for leaking confidential information about a future BlackBerry product before it was released. The executive said at the time that leaks can be misleading to shareholders and have serious negative business implications.

For those in the media, leaks give us something to write about and offer insight into where the industry is headed. They can drive tons of traffic to a site, especially if you’re able to secure an exclusive with a source.

That said, we’re curious to hear what you think on the subject. Do you like hearing details about a product before it’s unveiled or would you rather get the full experience of a product launch without any prior knowledge?

Permalink to story.

Do I like leaks? I want more leaks! The reason I visit TechSpot is to get news about what's coming up next. The reason I visit TechSpot multiple times a day is that I'm looking for any new scrap of potentially reliable information about what's coming up next.

I don't much care about cellphones and stuff, but I'd sell my soul to know when the next AMD or Nvidia graphics card series is due to launch. Not to mention news about Intel and AMD CPUs/APUs.

Usually, leaks aren't really leaks. It's a marketing strategy. It's like a teaser trailer.

Can't say I particularly care about leaks. Although this is probably rooted in my complete disinterest in having the "best" or "latest" product, I see no real benefit in leaks. They are only good for getting hits and generating ad revenue.

Depends on what it is. iPhone leaks don't seem like leaks at all, but pre-advertisements. I take any portable device "leak" with a grain of salt.

Hardware and software though - it's fun to know when something is coming down the pike. Except for Half-Life 3 of course. There's been so much speculation on that game that at best it warrants a "meh" now.

Oh for... Leaks? I don't think we even have these in most cases nowadays - these are rather controlled marketing sneak-peeks disguised as leaks.

It annoys me, they're pretending to leak info. Its like the terms "gaffe" "buzzy" "viral" "leaked". I hate them all.

Just marketing and publicity ploys and in most cases great free advertising! I wish I could get that level of publicity for my IT business but the only leaks I have are the ones in the workshop roof!

Yes and No.

If the leak has been engineered by a company to spread FUD, then no. DonanimHaber and semi-pro guerrilla marketer "Coolaler" for example, encapsulate all that is wrong with tech "journalism".

A source devoid of spin (Just the facts ma'am, just the facts) can be both entertaining and engender a wider valid discussion.

Then I guess there's a third category. Entertaining semi-pro guerrilla marketer. Thanks for the laughs Charlie D. Living proof of the self evident truth "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day".

I'm more interested in reviews after a product has been released. Leaks can be misleading, and therefore less interesting.

Not just that but leaks seem to only have parts of data about the product when we want to see everything about it and most leaks arent exactly the kind of leaks we want.

If leaks gave us every bit of details a normal product has then I would love that and I hate it when someone takes a picture with a crappy phone....

I really don't really pay attention to them unless it's something I stumble upon and find interesting then I usually forget about them.

Depends on what is being leaked. If I have interest in it, than yes. I dislike how some information is "leaked", but really no new information is actually given.
A weekly article about all the leaked information that came up during the week would be better than each "leaked" item getting its own writing. Get the viewers involved by have a poll to determine the what the best leaked item was for the week. Just my 2-cents, take it or leave it.

Leaks are not always true, like it was with Galaxy S5 and many others. One other reason I dislike them is because it feels like I have to wait longer for a product to come due to leaks being released way before the unveiling.

I do LOVE leaks.., though I tend to think it has became more of a marketing strategy. You pretend your product leaked and people get all exited about it and pass on the information... and that became s free marketing for you.. hehe

Meh.

I'm a patient enough person that leaks do not make much of a difference to me. If some great product is leaked, so be it. I'm gonna wait till it is on sale anyways before showing much interest.

Leaks are great when they show how a company is about to make a huge mistake. It gives the public a chance to penetrate the echo chamber and hopefully save the morons from themselves.

I'm interested in new things and real leaks in general support that interest. It does of course depend on the source, the subject and if it's real or just a marketing ploy. I have seen some leaks that were more speculation than any real leaked fact. I have seen some leaks that were pretty much on the mark. If the leak seems real and has pertinent information I will be interested however until said product/software is released you can only take this information so far.

Back