How much SSD space is in your main system?

Scorpus

Staff member

I've just realized that I don't have enough solid state storage in my desktop computer. My main drive is a mere 250 GB in capacity, purchased many years ago when SSDs were relatively expensive, supplemented by numerous ultra-slow hard drives.

As it turns out, SSDs these days are quite affordable. A 250 GB SATA-based drive can be found for under $70, while faster PCIe variants are a touch under $200. Even if you want a 1 TB drive, you'll only have to pay $250 or so, which is a far cry from what these drives cost when I was last in the market.

How much SSD storage space do you typically have in a desktop these days? How big is your main boot drive? Are you thinking of upgrading to something faster or larger any time soon? Let me know in the comments below.

In the meantime, I'm off to Newegg to hunt down a 1 TB drive for my system. It's time to get something faster and larger than my 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO.

Permalink to story.

512GB Samsung 950 pro (m.2) and a pair of 1TB Mushkin Reactor SSDs. I have no mechanical drives in my new system, though I have close to 30TB of total HDD storage (more like 15TB effective) elsewhere in the house.

I'm still on x58 platform won't be upgrading till Q1 2017.

So still using Intel 160GB G2 SSD x2 in Raid 0 after windows formatting total capacity is 297GB.

I have a SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD. It's definitely a budget model, but it really improved my boot speeds and load times.

A 1TB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" drive. Got it on sale, and love it to bits.

I was using a 250GB drive before that, like the author, but it was too annoying juggling data with that.

As far as SSD the one I have in my system would be a 512GB Samsung 950 pro (m.2) for the system drive ( I love the lack of load time for Windows when starting up). The other 8 drives are mechanical. Two in raid for the important items (pictures, documents, iso's. The rest just storage of everything else. I do like to cycle out the mechanical drives every 2-3 years though. No reason to push loosing data.

256 GB Samsung 850 Pro

More then enough space since I font download large files like movies, and only have a couple games at a time. Could probably make do with 128 GB if I wanted to.

I have a 1TB EVO 850, but ordered a 960 Pro 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 that's supposedly coming in January

Samsung 120GB drive, nothing special but it gets the job done. Although I think I would go up to a 500GB next time if I have the choice.

Samsung 840 EVO 250 Gb in my desktop.
Samsung 750 EVO 250 Gb in my everyday laptop.

But will in a couple of months upgrade to Samsung 960 EVO 512 Gb NVMe SSD in my desktop.

128 GB OCZ Agility 4. Although I wold like something bigger, I probably won't replace it until it dies. The same rig still has my 12 year old 1st gen 74GB Raptor.

120 GB SSD Windows 10 14965 .rs drive with some apps , the 4 browsers on it and 3TB of rusty metal in here including the 1TB dual boot windows 14393 AU metal drive .

It all works real well with the SSD windows 10 drive as a real swift daily driver.

Windows 10 only takes up a small part of 120GB , even with some apps and data and files I'm only using ~ 30GB of the SSD and it otherwise fetches what I need off the other drives fast enough (and decently fast ) for what I do on this Haswell Core i5 PC .

ofc. YMMV and you may need a bigger SSD but otherwise an SSD of nearly any popular size they make now with windows on it is da bomb . ☺

Back