Weekend Open Forum: What are your favorite personal flying drones?

Justin Kahn

forum

From hydrogen powered flyers, to camera equipped quadcopters and autonomous Amazon bots that will deliver our packages one day, drones are everywhere. I am even seeing more and more of them in public. There are so many variants in just about every price range across the board. Some with assisted control, smartphone connectivity and more.

While I am interested in trying out my very own flyer (likely one of those mini ones to start off with), it is hard to know which model an amateur remote pilot should choose when just getting started.

So for this week’s open forum we want to know how many of you are flying your own drones and which models you like best. Are there certain types you prefer for those just getting started? Do you have to spend some serious cash to get something worth your time?

Permalink to story.

I don't have a drone, but the AFB near my house does and they like to fly them lots.

For one things, ones with proper navigation lights, since drones typically do not have front or end, and mostly are symmetrical. See on the picture green and red lights, they are supposed to switch automatically just as the drone changes direction of flying, to indicate port and starboard correctly.

Unfortunately, that is not the case with most drones, as far as I know. And most people probably think those are just illumination or modding, like a PC case, but they aren't. It is to let you know whether the drone is flying towards you or away, when using after dark or at a good distance away. The one on the picture is also a bad design, as you won't see the lights well when it is not directly above you.

For another thing, a more durable, quickly replaceable battery, of course.

Lifting power can be a factor also, if you plan to use it for delivering something, and not just being able to lift up itself.

Foldable arms. Most of them are totally fixed models. It is nice to be able to bring them along, without having a car.

In all, I don't have a favourite drone yet, but I know what to look for when I decide to buy one.

Last edited:
What's my favorite flying drone? This, you think, is something the average person has an opinion about? I feel a wave of sarcasm coming on, so I'll just stop myself before I start insulting people. :D

I'd love to play with them but I haven't had the opportunity thus far. It's true that they say men never grow up, their toys just get more expensive. I've retired now but I still love things like these... nearly as much as my grandkids.

Back