Weekend Open Forum: What if the Internet didn't exist?

Julio Franco

Staff member

Have you ever wondered what would life be like if the Internet didn't exist? The Internet as we know it had its early development in the 1960s as a point-to-point communication between mainframe computers. Then the TCP/IP protocol was standarized in the 80s, and by 1995 it was revolutionizing communication worldwide.

This tidbit of information from Wikipedia really caught my attention: "It is estimated that in 1993 the Internet carried only 1% of the information flowing through two-way telecommunication, by 2000 this figure had grown to 51%, and by 2007 more than 97% of all telecommunicated information was carried over the Internet."

Sure, people had already lived long and well without the Internet, just watch an episode of Mad Men and you'll get the drill, but for us, tech and computer enthusiasts that almost feels like going back to the stone age.

I remember with particular fondness the early days of connecting to the net using a dial-up modem and waiting an hour or two for the latest version of Netscape to finally download. Waking up in the early morning (4-5am) to download the latest game demos before my ISP's lines got too congested. Add to that your fair share of positive experiences using Amazon, Google, your instant messenger of choice, and most recently social networking sites and the on-the-go capabilities of today's smartphones.

But aside from all that, remove the Internet and I'd be left without TechSpot, my true and only full-time job in the past decade. Heck, without the Internet I may have become an architect or a doctor instead.

What would you do if the Internet never existed, or why not, if the Internet somehow ceased to exist? Discuss.

Permalink to story.

I've worked in Dell for the last 17 years and without the internet Dell would probably not have grown as big as it did and I may have never have worked for them

There would be a whole lot of bored people to deal with.

And we all know what happens when a lot of people get bored, right?

Internet never really influenced my career so I would still be doing exactly the same things in exactly the same sequence.

Now that out of the way, I think without internet

a) world's population growth rate would have been umm far greater :D
b) we would still be playing games like Prince of Persia / Pac Man (and the likes)
c) securing computers would not have been an issue like it is today
d) we wouldn't have any open source stuff
e) we wouldn't have facecook
f) we (probably) wouldn't have any malware + spyware
g) and importantly Obama would never have been able to become president :grinthumb

Guys would still know what a telefax is.
Girls would still be told the virtue of making short telephone calls.
Aliens would still think we're all *****s. ;)

without the internet... i'd have hobbies such as cycling, playing the guitar, wood crafting, metal fabrication...

now all i do is learn **** and play with computers... what good will this do me in life?! hahahah

Without the internet, I'd be stupid - I use the internet for like 90% of my research.

When I think "the world without internet," I think broadband-internet. Before the broadband era, it really wasn't the internet as we know it today. It was an expensive, pay per minute luxury that few people could afford and only people who really needed it for job purposes had an internet connection. Gamers were still gathering for LAN parties at this point. Nobody I know does that anymore, apart from these massive anual events. I could say I remember a time when nobody knew what the internet was, but I can't say I remember it well. I was born in 1979, and I didn't get internet until around 2000 when broadband got big in Norway. Before that, it was all about the LAN parties. I got my first apartment when I was 19 and my friends lived at my place for weeks at a time. I was buying computer-magazines with attached discs to get patches for games. That's the world without internet. Lots of hazzle + squatters. If the internet never existed, I'd still have friends living at my place and we'd all still be virgins. :p

Without internet game developers would have to finish the game properly before selling it to people.

We'd still be typing in long code examples from magazines instead of downloading them from a website. Remember those code examples that covered multiple pages?? :)

A-holes like Mark Zuckerberg wouldnt be billionares & off course i would toast doing my college assignments without google books which i consider to be one of the biggest copyright breach in history, yup words of a hypocrite.

Back