Weekend Open Forum: What 'next-gen' console do you own?

Scorpus

Staff member

We're now four months out from the launch of the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, and the past couple of weeks has seen some major exclusive game launches for both platforms: Titanfall for Xbox One, and Infamous: Second Son for PS4. The fight between Sony and Microsoft in the console space has intensified, especially with recent price cuts for the Xbox One.

Personally I don't own a 'next-gen' console just yet; I prefer to do most of my gaming on PC, as I like to revel in superior graphics on maximum settings. But what about you? Have you jumped into the 'next-gen' console space, are you sticking to something from last generation, or are you a PC-only kind of person? Let us know below.

Permalink to story.

I only game on my PC. However, I have it hooked up like a console and play fighting/racing games with a 360 controller on my Samsung 55". The last console I owned was a Nintendo 64.

I own a PC used for graphics and some gaming. My main and most go to machine is my PS3. I will be getting a PS4 soon.

The only console I owned was PS2. When it came out no PC could compete, it was a super machine. I sold it 3 month later, and never bought another one.

These days when I'm sitting on a PC that's worth 6 grand, and I don't see it feasible for a $600 console to match that in any way. The market has changed, and so did people's perception of what game quality is.

Last edited:
None.

I'm avoiding 'next gen' as long as I can really, I just don't think they're worth it right now. Plus I have a gaming PC anyway.

In just the last two weeks, I bought a Wii U - first console I've owned since the N64 probably 15-16 years ago. My PC is a gaming rig and 98% of the games that are released for the PlayStation or Xbox are also available for the PC (and with much better quality and options), so no point in owning one of those.

But every once in a while, I do want something of a more casual nature to play and from the comfort of my sofa. The WiiU fits that need perfectly, plus plays many games not available on the PC. Not to mention it has a ready-made library of Wii games that it will play, unlike the PS4 and XBox One that can't play pre "next gen" games.

I've always had a console since the Intellivision. I bought the Sega Genesis when it first came out and felt really let down for the price. Since then I've always waited for a price cut before buying a new console, except for the PS3 which I bought a couple months after launch because my PS2 died. I'm still happy with my PS3 and in fact have a backlog of games to play.
Right now I'm almost sure I'll get a PS4 over Xbox One, but not until there are more games to play. Maybe in the fall.

My PC is 3 years old maybe 4..... i5 and ati 6870. Great yet for my games
Last console I had was an Atari, fun but stupid. My daughter had a PS2. I have no ability at my age on a controller. Mouse and Keyboard

The only next gen console: PC! the others are crap and not worth it...

Just got mine today... MSI GT70 Dominator :). I do have an XBO, but that's probably getting sold the next few days. Titanfall was the last straw. I got it on both PC and XBO for a direct comparison... PC runs at 1080p with minor screen tearing, XBO runs at 796P (it does look better than 720 honestly,) with tons of screen tearing, and massive frame drop when smoke is deployed and/or several titans on screen. Hands down win on PC.

Older PC (overclocked Core 2 Duo E8500, 480GTX), 2nd gen nexus 7, and original Xbox. My son has an Xbox 360 on which I have rarely played, but I do use an Xbox 360 controller for racing games on my PC. With a family now and my PC in the main living area it really isn't feasible any more to hook up my Saitek force-feedback wheel and pedals.

I'm been a PC gamer since the first Voodoo cards & I've always loved and adored my consoles. From my NES as a kid to my PS3 and the million in between. Graphics are nice and I'm an eye-candy nut myself, but I don't forget the important things, its about gameplay, immersion and having fun.

Games make the console. Not the other way around young pups.
When God Of War 3 released for PS3, I got one.
Metal Gear Solid 4 was one of the greatest games I've ever played.

I game on my PC maxed at 1600p and whoever says they don't like console gaming because the graphics aren't as good are usually complete posers and frontrunners who think their PC is just to bada$$. B!tch please.

I do not own any consoles anymore ever since I got this PC build:

- i7 4770k @ 4.6ghz (delidded)
- 16gb 2400mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum ram
- EVGA GTX 780 Ti classified Hydro Copper @ 1285mhz
- Asus Maximus 6 Formula Mobo
- Samsung 840 EVO 500gb SSD + 2tb WD black
- Phanteks Enthoo Primo case
- Corsair ax760i PSU
- 7x Corsair SP120 Fans
- Custom watercooled (Swiftech dcp35x pump, Koolance Cpu waterblock, 300ml koolance reservoir, QDC fittings, 3/8in ID x 5/8in OD tubing, 1x 360mm rad + 1x 240mm Rad)

Currently just using a single Asus VG248QE monitor with a G-Sync FPGA installed into it along with a Corsair K95 keyboard and a Razer Naga 2014 mouse.

A year ago I switched to pc gaming and I know for sure im not going back to consoles :)) anyways I owned an xbox 360

Back