Weekend Open Forum: What operating system do you run?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft revealed earlier this month that Windows 10 is now installed on half a billion active devices around the world. Indeed, some variant of Microsoft’s Windows operating system is likely what you’ll find running on the average computer user’s PC.

With this week’s open forum, we’re curious – what version of Windows are you running? Or, given that this is a tech-focused community, it’s much more likely that you aren’t running Windows. Perhaps it's your favorite distribution of Linux or something else entirely?

Feel free to share in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Windows 10. Even my company is now running Windows 10 on all the R&D machines because it's required for some new software and all of the older software runs perfectly fine.

Windows 10 Pro. There's a lot not to like about it, but there's also a lot to like about it. With some tweaks you can make it so you don't want to throw your computer through a window.

Windows 10 Pro on my home desktop
Windows 7 Pro - laptop at home (10 was too slow, it's old)
Windows 7 Pro - my desktop at work
My work computers (about 1100 of them), a mix of 7 and 10 but mostly 7. I work at a school and I've found the time for a new user to login to a machine (Dell Latitude E7470, core i5, SSD) with Windows 10 takes about 2-3 minutes vs. about 30 seconds on 7. We use a program like deepfreeze that removes all user settings on shutdown, so all logins are essentially a new login. This problem is really going to push my deployments back to Win 7.

Windows 10 on my laptop and desktop... windows 7 at work - school board doesn't have the money to update.... 10 is vastly superior

Windows 10 Pro on my home desktop/gaming PC.
Windows 10 Home on my personal laptop.
ChromeOS and Ubuntu on my Chromebook.
Ubuntu on my home server.
Windows 7 Pro on my desktop work PC.

This didn't age well:

given that this is a tech-focused community, it’s much more likely that you aren’t running Windows

Would the one Debian user please stand up?

Laptop Win/7 Pro 64bit + Cygwin emulator for Linux web development
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite
Redhat 6/7 & 98se triple boot

Win 10 on the mobile 2 in 1 moved my main laptop back to Win 7 Pro since the hardware performed better in the games I play but I keep win 10 pro on the HDD in that one for certain things. I also just started messing around with kubuntu and kde neon on another drive for my main laptop. Thinking of getting more into Linux over the next year or two.

Main PC: Windows 7 Ult
Home laptop: Windows 10 -> no possible downgrade to windows 7, For sale, mint, rarely used, please inquire.
Work PC: Windows 7 Pro
Work laptop: Windows 7 Pro

Windows 7 is still the king until it is EOL.

Dual boot, Windows 10 for games and Ubuntu gnome 16.04 for work... I'm trying to get rid of my windows 10 most games I play got ported to linux or can work on wine. My only remaining issue is Battlefield and OverWatch...

Back