Weekend Open Forum: What's the best game you played this year?

Scorpus

Staff member

open forum wof gaming weekend open forum goty game of the year

This week has seen the last wave of game releases for the year, which means it's time to give in your nominations. What game do you think deserves the prestigious title of Game of the Year?

2014 was a mixed bag for gaming: there were some fantastic releases, such as Dragon Age: Inquisition, Shadow of Mordor, Bayonetta 2, and Far Cry 4. We also saw shaky and downright buggy launches of Driveclub, Assassin's Creed Unity and Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and polarizing games like Watch Dogs and Destiny. And of course we got an annual release of Call of Duty.

For me, I loved Inquisition, and even though I'm still working my way through the massive game, it's the best game I played this year. Let us now what your GOTY is in the comments below, and give us your most anticipated title for 2015 while you're at it.

Permalink to story.

Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare

Of the 2014 releases I've played this year, AAA and indie, this has been the most enjoyable. It is the only title I find myself returning to, in fact. Destiny was a flop as far as I'm concerned; put it down after a month and never came back. Inquisition was great at first, but once the new game feeling wore off I found it exceedingly boring. The Evil Within was simply more of the same. Driveclub, while consistently fun, is too arcade for me to really dive into for more than a couple races a week (and then there are the server issues). PvZ, on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoy each time I fire it up. The gameplay is fairly basic, but the art style and presentation is a much welcome departure from the visual realism that has come to dominate the AAA market. It brings me back to a time when games were games and not hyper-serious Hollywood productions, as they tend to be now.

Wolfenstein
The New Order

The update process was super painful but once patched, this game killed it !

All the releases that you think are "fantastic" are at best mediocre. There were no games this year that did anything special, at best a few succeed because they followed a mold.

Far Cry 4 is pretty much the same as 3

Dragon Age Inquitition is Dragon Age II with a bit of Skyrim. Most of the open world is much worse than skryim and the quests are pretty much all crap.

Shadow of mordor is at least good. Although it's also following the Skyrim open world trend that everyone seems to be on.

Destiny, CoD, and Watch Dogs were all trash.

This year of gaming has been completely devoid of any creativity.

There wasn't anything that really excited me this year. I've been playing eve a lot lately and recently I've decided to play crysis over again. Finished Crysis 1 and started on Warhead today, actually. I bought Crysis 2 and never played it so I figure I'll play that through even if it's a bad game. I received Crysis 3 as a gift and never took it out of it's packaging so depending on how I'm feeling after crysis 2 I'll play that. From what I can tell, though, crysis 3 is the better game.

I do seasonal work and now isn't the season for it so I have an awful lot of time on my hands this time of year.

So best game I played this year? Might be a little bit bias but I think Crysis 1 is one of the best games ever made for PC so I'll have to go with that. Although, it doesn't quite bring my system to it's knees like it use to :/

Well I didnt play bioshock infinite till this year. So theres that.
I didn't want to invest any money in my xbox 360 (which I no longer own) and none of the games I REALLY wanted came out for PC yet...(GTA V, Destiny, halo MCC) so eh. just an eh year for gaming I suppose.

Toribash , free, stupidly easy to play, difficult to master. But funny with a few friends.

I enjoyed Shadow of Mordor, but otherwise I've gone back to playing State of Decay (since I found it on Steam for a great price).

Haven't really been any other great games this year that I have played and can think of...

PVZ garden warfare for 2013.

Id have to say Hearthstone for 2014, the only other new game iv played for over 4 hours would be road redemption. Hearth is simple and fun. Yet I'm already burnt out on it. It's not to hard to get new cards, but I becomingly increasingly tired of waiting for legendary cards.

Its fun until you hit that legendary brick wall. You might have maybe 1 or 2 legendaries but your opponents are slamming them down every other turn.

I don't get a lot of free time to play, so I pick things that I can play for about 30 to 60 minutes and leave behind for a week. Destiny has been able to do that for me with its missions, and Mario Kart 8 has been okay. I don't have the time and enthusiasm to devote to epic stories like Dragon Age; I'll forget what the story is about the next time I get to play.

I played more golden oldies than I did new games. I'd have to say State of Decay was the newest one I played the most.

This is a hard one.

For the PC.
FPS - Wolfenstein
Open World: Middle-Earth Shadow of Modor
Role Playing: South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Come on nobody said noting about WOT (world of tanks) im highly edicted

The online game War Thunder and it's addition of ground forces was my game of the year, although it's not perfect, the micro transaction system is just too one sided. It is far better then that blatant money grab of world of tanks. Basic premise there is; unless your dumping over $50-80/month into this game your never going to get beyond a certain level of status and play. The game for me next year is going to be Armoured Warfare, the Cryengine 4 based modern tank game.. I simply don't see anything else on the horizon that will be worth while.

Lost Alpha.
The game didn't live up to the years of expectation, but still comfortably eclipsed most of the big budget titles I played.

Sad that Glorious Leader! couldn't make the 2014 list though. Looking forward to the Sony Pictures backlot level!

Back