Weekend tech reading: AMD Ryzen benchmarks leaked, Asus tinker board reviewed, Win10 vs...

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8-core CPU benchmarks leaked -- giving Intel's $1000+ 8 cores a run for it Single and multithreaded benchmarks for AMD’s top-end 8 core, 16 thread Ryzen 7 1800X CPU are here and they’re impressive! The company’s highly anticipated family of next generation enthusiast desktop Ryzen CPUs is less than two weeks away. The CPUs will official launch on March 2nd and their reviews will go live on February 28th. To date, we know of at least 17 different Ryzen SKUs. Which include 8, 6 and 4 core CPUs set to take on Intel’s i7, i5 and i3 chips. The entire lineup has fully unlocked multipliers and is overclocking ready to boot. Wccftech (also, AMD Ryzen 1700X, 1600X & 1300 benchmarks leaked)

Editor's note: Leaked benchmarks and Ryzen data below. This is not official. TechSpot's official tests and information will come at a later date when AMD releases the processors.

Note: The graph below is not an Anandtech benchmark, but a leaked Ryzen benchmark pasted into one of their graphs for the purpose of context.

Finally, unofficial Ryzen models and price points. Not official.

AMD Ryzen CPU Cores/Threads L3 TDP Base Turbo XFR Price
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.6GHz 4.0GHz 4.0GHz+ $499
AMD Ryzen 7 1800 Pro 8/16 16MB 65W TBA TBA N/A TBA
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X 8/16 16MB 95W 3.4GHz 3.8GHz 3.8GHz+ $389
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8/16 16MB 65W 3.0GHz 3.7GHz N/A $319
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 6/12 16MB 95W 3.3GHz 3.7GHz 3.7GHz+ $259
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6/12 16MB 65W TBA TBA N/A TBA
AMD Ryzen 5 1500 6/12 16MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A $229
AMD Ryzen 5 1400X 4/8 8MB 65W 3.5GHz 3.9GHz 3.9GHz+ $199
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 4/8 8MB 65W TBA TBA N/A TBA
AMD Ryzen 5 1300 4/8 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A $175
AMD Ryzen 3 1200X 4/4 8MB 65W TBA 3.4GHz 3.8GHz $149
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 4/4 8MB 65W TBA TBA N/A TBA
AMD Ryzen 3 1100 4/4 8MB 65W 3.2GHz 3.5GHz N/A $129

SNES preservation project "dead" after $10k of games lost in the post A Nintendo fan's project to digitally preserve every SNES game has ended in defeat after the US Postal Service (USPS) lost a package containing 100 cartridges. The parcel contained between $7500 and $10k worth of vintage games, which were en route to amateur archivist Byuu. The package made the journey from Frankfurt to Byuu's home state of New Jersey, but after this was lost by the USPS. It was the second of five planned shipments of games from a European collector, who has now been left without a large chunk of their collection. Eurogamer

Gabe Newell isn't really here Gabe Newell sits perfectly still, leans forward. His hands are laid on his lap. Only his eyes are moving. They shift rapidly from left to right and back again. He's physically here, he's sort of listening, but I'd say he's also somewhere else, mentally untangling the knots of the future. The way he talks bears this out. He's unscripted, exploratory. He ranges far from corporate dogma and empty visionary horseshit. He admits when he’s been wrong in the past, or that he might be wrong right now about one of the biggest gambles of his career. Polygon

Review: The Asus tinker board (updated) In the years since the launch of the original Raspberry Pi we have seen the little British ARM-based board become one of the more popular single board computers in the hobbyist, maker, and hacker communities. It has retained that position despite the best efforts of other manufacturers, and we have seen a succession of competitor boards directly copying it by imitating its form factor. None of them have made a significant dent in the sales figures enjoyed by the Pi, yet they continue to appear on a regular basis. Hackaday

Nintendo is already repeating the Wii U's mistakes with Switch When Nintendo launched the Wii U in 2012, there were a lot of promises about what the platform meant. Now, less than five years later, the Wii U is an unmitigated failure, not just commercially but creatively, and Nintendo is going to take another crack at a tablet-based home console platform with the Nintendo Switch. And while Nintendo has a lot of ‘splaining to do in general, there is no better litmus test for Nintendo’s future success than how well it handles the console’s online functionality. Polygon

Nokia lays key 5G foundation with world's first 5GTF connection Nokia has successfully carried out the world's first connection based on the 5GTF 'pre-standard', marking a further milestone in Nokia's momentum to make 5G a commercial reality. The test adds another key component to the development of 5G and the implementation of the first 5G applications, demonstrating the ability to provide fast pace implementation according to early standards including device interoperability. Nokia

Liquid battery could last for over 10 years Modern batteries aren't hampered so much by their capacity as their long-term lifespan -- a lithium-ion pack can easily become useless after a few years of heavy use. That's bad enough for your phone, but it's worse for energy storage systems that may have to stick around for the long haul. If Harvard researchers have their way, you may not have to worry about replacing power backs quite so often. Engadget

Testing out snapshots in Apple's next-generation APFS file system Back in June, Apple announced its new upcoming file system: APFS, or Apple File System. There was no mention of it in the WWDC keynote, but devotees needed no encouragement. They picked over every scintilla of data from the documentation on Apple's developer site, extrapolating, interpolating, eager for whatever was about to come. Ars Technica

Windows 10 vs. Ubuntu Linux gaming performance with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060/1080 It's been a while since last testing Windows 10 vs. Linux on different, newer Linux game ports with a variety of GPUs, but that changed this week. As mentioned this weekend, I've been working on a large, fresh Windows vs. Linux gaming performance comparison. The results available today are for Nvidia with testing a GeForce GTX 1060 and GTX 1080 on Windows 10 Pro x64 and Ubuntu 16.10 x86_64 with the latest drivers and using a variety of newer Direct3D 11/12 / OpenGL / Vulkan games. Phoronix

SRI's pioneering mobile robot Shakey honored as IEEE milestone A group of Silicon Valley roboticists who developed Shakey, a pioneer mobile robot project, gathered last night at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif., to dedicate the tall, wheeled machine as an IEEE Milestone. Joining the group were other robotics visionaries, IEEE officers and local IEEE section members, and fans of computing history. Shakey, developed at SRI International between 1966 and 1972, was honored as the world’s first mobile, intelligent robot. IEEE Spectrum

How do you build a robot army? Depictions of the future in books and film are usually influenced by what’s going on at the time, reflecting social malaise, impending armageddon, or economic anxieties. The robots in classic sci-fi usually resembled humans, as most authors assumed they would eventually assist us in the same tasks humans did. Ars Technica

Graphene could buttress next-gen computer chip wiring Most of the hand-wringing over the fate of Moore’s Law focuses on the ever-shrinking silicon transistor. But increasingly researchers are concerned with another critical part of the infrastructure: the copper wires that connect individual transistors to form complex circuits. IEEE Spectrum

Permalink to story.

Intel's blood pressure is about to be Ryzen.

Lol, nice one

Completely right. Even if Ryzen doesn't match up to these benchmarks, it will definitely force prices down, which is great because Intel have been increasing prices ever since Sandy Bridge.

I'm so tired of all the hate the switch is getting. The Wii U was not a tablet based console, for one. It was a console that had a tablet as a controller. Using the switch as a tablet isn't necessary as it can be docked and has a controller that ISN'T a tablet. Is it a little on the pricey side with the "optional" accessories? Yeah, it is. But what they're doing is also cool as hell and hasn't been done before.

I just don't get it, I'm really excited for the switch. It seems to me that people are making hate articles about the switch as click bait. Many of the the claims I see in the article can't be known yet. They're predicting a massive day one patch for the switch? How could they know this? They're also complaining it doesn't have netflix yet? I have 9 ways of watching netflix in my house, please tell me how I need switch to do that for me. Also, complaining that it doesn't have a web browser? I have 3 PC's, 2 tablets and a phone to access the internet on.

It's a garbage clickbait article and the author should be ashamed of himself. In fact, I'm even disappointed in techspot for even directing traffic to that website.

I'm so tired of all the hate the switch is getting. The Wii U was not a tablet based console, for one. It was a console that had a tablet as a controller. Using the switch as a tablet isn't necessary as it can be docked and has a controller that ISN'T a tablet. Is it a little on the pricey side with the "optional" accessories? Yeah, it is. But what they're doing is also cool as hell and hasn't been done before.

I just don't get it, I'm really excited for the switch. It seems to me that people are making hate articles about the switch as click bait. Many of the the claims I see in the article can't be known yet. They're predicting a massive day one patch for the switch? How could they know this? They're also complaining it doesn't have netflix yet? I have 9 ways of watching netflix in my house, please tell me how I need switch to do that for me. Also, complaining that it doesn't have a web browser? I have 3 PC's, 2 tablets and a phone to access the internet on.

It's a garbage clickbait article and the author should be ashamed of himself. In fact, I'm even disappointed in techspot for even directing traffic to that website.

So critics should stuff it because you have more tech than most of Nintendo's customers?

Don't let your excitement switch to salt at the first sight of skepticism.

I'm pretty sure a Netflix app will be on it in a month. Netflix would make a app for a toaster if it had a screen.

So critics should stuff it because you have more tech than most of Nintendo's customers?

Their claims are mostly unfounded. On top of that, if you don't have enough money for a TV and internet connection you have other priorities than gaming, like getting a job. MOST people multiple sources of browsing the internet and watching netflix. Hell, netflix, hulu and others are built into most TV's now-a-days. If you have a TV why would you want to watch netflix on a 720p 6" screen anyway? You can get a 43" 4K vizio for the cost of a switch that has all those apps built into it.

These things aren't a big deal and the idea that the switch is going to be some kind of failure because it doesn't have netflix and is a "tablet based consoled"(which it isn't) is complete foobar. The author has no idea what he's talking about and he is only speculating about other parts of the switch. You never have to use the switch in tablet mode if you don't want to. It isn't a controller like the Wii U's tablet.

Last edited:

Um, the switch is doing something that has been done before many times. There have been plenty of tablet / console hybrids before it with detachable controllers. The switch is their least unique console ever.

"They're predicting a massive day one patch for the switch? How could they know this? "

Day one patch for online. They are getting this from that one stolen Nintendo switch and the ensuing leaks that resulted.

"They're also complaining it doesn't have netflix yet? I have 9 ways of watching netflix in my house, please tell me how I need switch to do that for me. Also, complaining that it doesn't have a web browser? I have 3 PC's, 2 tablets and a phone to access the internet on. "

The problem here is that you are not the only person on earth. I don't think other people care that you have a million other devices that can perform the same task, they care about what it is going to do for themselves. Not having a web browser and not being able to browse the web is a huge handicap for anyone on any kind of budget. Parents can buy their kids a tablet that can do all those things or they can buy the likely more expensive switch with more expensive games, paid online, and very expensive controllers. They market this device as a whole family device but the value isn't anywhere near what the wii had. The only way the switch is going to sell is if it has VERY good games and I mean allot of them. The Wii U had a couple must buy games and still flopped. The switch has a higher price so it's got an even larger barrier to overcome.

Their claims are mostly unfounded. On top of that, if you don't have enough money for a TV and internet connection you have other priorities than gaming, like getting a job. MOST people multiple sources of browsing the internet and watching netflix. Hell, netflix, hulu and others are built into most TV's now-a-days. If you have a TV why would you want to watch netflix on a 720p 6" screen anyway? You can get a 43" 4K vizio for the cost of a switch that has all those apps built into it.

These things aren't a big deal and the idea that the switch is going to be some kind of failure because it doesn't have netflix and is a "tablet based consoled"(which it isn't) is complete foobar. The author has no idea what he's talking about and he is only speculating about other parts of the switch. You never have to use the switch in tablet mode if you don't want to. It isn't a controller like the Wii U's tablet.

You are assuming again. Most people don't have smart TVs. Smart TVs still represent a small portion of the worldwide market.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/314616/smart-tv-unit-shipment-worldwide-forecast/

It's kind of ironic though, because the point you are trying to make marginalizes the usefulness of the Switch. Why even get a switch if your other devices can already do what it does. You'd have to be a Nintendo fanboy to drop $300 on it just for the games.

"You never have to use the switch in tablet mode if you don't want to. It isn't a controller like the Wii U's tablet."

This goes back to my previous point, why bother getting a switch if you aren't going to use it for what it's designed? The system made some serious compromises to be portable and using it only like a console is akin to buying a tablet and only using it like a stationary TV in one place for it's entire life.

The point you're trying to make isn't a good one. Buy a switch to play only Nintendo games costing you more money than the other consoles with the smallest library and most expensive controllers all the while ignoring it's portability factor. Literally the only merit you are giving it is the "possible" games.

Um, the switch is doing something that has been done before many times. There have been plenty of tablet / console hybrids before it with detachable controllers. The switch is their least unique console ever.
The way they're doing it is different. The way it flawlessly switches from TV to tablet mode. And thinking of it as a tablet is the wrong way to go about it, think of it more of a "hand held". They aren't focusing on touchscreen games on the switch because, seriously, have there been any successful implementations of touch controls in any game? Every game I've played with touch controls has been clunky to the point that I find them unplayable.

said:
"They're predicting a massive day one patch for the switch? How could they know this? "

Day one patch for online. They are getting this from that one stolen Nintendo switch and the ensuing leaks that resulted.
I haven't heard about that until now and have just looked into it. I will say it doesn't surprised me that it will need a day one patch for online play. I remember both the PS4 and Xbone had day one patches and I'm not hearing anyone complaining about that. Now to answer the question, how large will it be? We simply don't know. It could be very small just to make sure that stolen Switch's can't be used online before their intended release date.

said:
The problem here is that you are not the only person on earth. I don't think other people care that you have a million other devices that can perform the same task, they care about what it is going to do for themselves. Not having a web browser and not being able to browse the web is a huge handicap for anyone on any kind of budget. Parents can buy their kids a tablet that can do all those things or they can buy the likely more expensive switch with more expensive games, paid online, and very expensive controllers. They market this device as a whole family device but the value isn't anywhere near what the wii had. The only way the switch is going to sell is if it has VERY good games and I mean allot of them. The Wii U had a couple must buy games and still flopped. The switch has a higher price so it's got an even larger barrier to overcome.
So if we are on a budget I'd like to mention that there is this thing called chrome cast you can buy for $35 that gives you all the streaming services you want and a web browser, people on a budget should get that. Don't have a TV with an HDMI port on it? You can pick up HDTV's for under $100 now. You can buy 3 TV's with chromecast for the price of a switch if that's such a big issue. As far as the Wii U failing, it failed because they tried too hard to integrate the tablet controller into the games you were playing. The fact that the switch can be docked shows that Nintendo has abandoned touch controlled games.

said:
You are assuming again. Most people don't have smart TVs. Smart TVs still represent a small portion of the worldwide market.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/314616/smart-tv-unit-shipment-worldwide-forecast/
Again, get a chrome cast and a cheap HDTV. If you can't afford those then you have no business buying a switch

said:
It's kind of ironic though, because the point you are trying to make marginalizes the usefulness of the Switch. Why even get a switch if your other devices can already do what it does. You'd have to be a Nintendo fanboy to drop $300 on it just for the games.
You're d*** right I'm a Nintendo fan, I wouldn't say fanboy though. I have loved Nintendo games since I got my first NES at a yardsale. The first time I played video games was on a Nintendo. Then I started to get into PC's in 95. Ever since then I've always had a Nintendo and a PC. I skipped the Wii U because it's F***ing stupid so I wont beat around the bush on that, but I still play my Wii for things like Super Smash Brothers Brawl when my friends come over

said:
"You never have to use the switch in tablet mode if you don't want to. It isn't a controller like the Wii U's tablet."

This goes back to my previous point, why bother getting a switch if you aren't going to use it for what it's designed? The system made some serious compromises to be portable and using it only like a console is akin to buying a tablet and only using it like a stationary TV in one place for it's entire life.

The point you're trying to make isn't a good one. Buy a switch to play only Nintendo games costing you more money than the other consoles with the smallest library and most expensive controllers all the while ignoring it's portability factor. Literally the only merit you are giving it is the "possible" games.

As it's intended? It's portability is a feature that you don't have to use. I intend to have mine plugged into my monitor 99% of the time I own it. And as far as having the smallest games library, you can download games from Nintendos online store. I can't wait to play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask again. It has also been said that due to the hardware changes in the Switch that they'll be able to start to port Gamecube games now so I'll be able to play Wind Waker. Not to mention games like Super Mario Sunshine, Pikman, Harvest Moon, Super Smashbros and Animal Crossing.

Yeah, there are only a few "Switch" titles, but there is an entire library of games you can download and play from previous consoles. I don't have my older systems, I sold my NES and SNES, my N64 broke and my gamecube was stolen so it's not like I can just go plug them back in and play the games. Further, the games downloaded from Nintendos online library are rendered in higher resolutions and some even go as far as increasing texture size and polygon count. I will be able to not only play games I haven't played in almost two decades, but they will look better too.

I don't get why the switch is getting so much hate. It's okay to not like the console and think "that's not for me", but so many people saying it's going to be a failure? I'd put money on it being incredibly successful. It's only online that I hear people quite literally angry about the switch for seemingly no reason. Everyone I talk to face-to-face is excited as I am about it. You want to say "it doesn't have netflix". Let me point something out, the people complaining online about no netflix obviously have a web browser with internet connection to watch netflix.

There are so many cool things that the Switch can do that the other consoles can't, I just don't understand the hate. And as far as a day one patch goes, how is the second day going to go? We live in an instant gratification society dayone/week one patches are nothing new. And, keep in mind, this thing runs SOFTWARE. Software is(or atleast should be) continually updated. The idea that this thing requiring updates being strange to people is absurd. Your computer needs updated, your phone needs updated, your apps and other software need updated. Updates are nothing new. I don't understand how if you have a hard time getting this thing to update due to congestion in the first few days that it impacts long term ownership. I'm buying a new car in april so I'm not even planning on getting one the first day. It could be 4-8 weeks after release before I end up buying mine.

Last edited:
The way they're doing it is different. The way it flawlessly switches from TV to tablet mode. And thinking of it as a tablet is the wrong way to go about it, think of it more of a "hand held". They aren't focusing on touchscreen games on the switch because, seriously, have there been any successful implementations of touch controls in any game? Every game I've played with touch controls has been clunky to the point that I find them unplayable.

I haven't heard about that until now and have just looked into it. I will say it doesn't surprised me that it will need a day one patch for online play. I remember both the PS4 and Xbone had day one patches and I'm not hearing anyone complaining about that. Now to answer the question, how large will it be? We simply don't know. It could be very small just to make sure that stolen Switch's can't be used online before their intended release date.

So if we are on a budget I'd like to mention that there is this thing called chrome cast you can buy for $35 that gives you all the streaming services you want and a web browser, people on a budget should get that. Don't have a TV with an HDMI port on it? You can pick up HDTV's for under $100 now. You can buy 3 TV's with chromecast for the price of a switch if that's such a big issue. As far as the Wii U failing, it failed because they tried too hard to integrate the tablet controller into the games you were playing. The fact that the switch can be docked shows that Nintendo has abandoned touch controlled games.

Again, get a chrome cast and a cheap HDTV. If you can't afford those then you have no business buying a switch

You're d*** right I'm a Nintendo fan, I wouldn't say fanboy though. I have loved Nintendo games since I got my first NES at a yardsale. The first time I played video games was on a Nintendo. Then I started to get into PC's in 95. Ever since then I've always had a Nintendo and a PC. I skipped the Wii U because it's F***ing stupid so I wont beat around the bush on that, but I still play my Wii for things like Super Smash Brothers Brawl when my friends come over

As it's intended? It's portability is a feature that you don't have to use. I intend to have mine plugged into my monitor 99% of the time I own it. And as far as having the smallest games library, you can download games from Nintendos online store. I can't wait to play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask again. It has also been said that due to the hardware changes in the Switch that they'll be able to start to port Gamecube games now so I'll be able to play Wind Waker. Not to mention games like Super Mario Sunshine, Pikman, Harvest Moon, Super Smashbros and Animal Crossing.

Yeah, there are only a few "Switch" titles, but there is an entire library of games you can download and play from previous consoles. I don't have my older systems, I sold my NES and SNES, my N64 broke and my gamecube was stolen so it's not like I can just go plug them back in and play the games. Further, the games downloaded from Nintendos online library are rendered in higher resolutions and some even go as far as increasing texture size and polygon count. I will be able to not only play games I haven't played in almost two decades, but they will look better too.

I don't get why the switch is getting so much hate. It's okay to not like the console and think "that's not for me", but so many people saying it's going to be a failure? I'd put money on it being incredibly successful. It's only online that I hear people quite literally angry about the switch for seemingly no reason. Everyone I talk to face-to-face is excited as I am about it. You want to say "it doesn't have netflix". Let me point something out, the people complaining online about no netflix obviously have a web browser with internet connection to watch netflix.

There are so many cool things that the Switch can do that the other consoles can't, I just don't understand the hate. And as far as a day one patch goes, how is the second day going to go? We live in an instant gratification society dayone/week one patches are nothing new. And, keep in mind, this thing runs SOFTWARE. Software is(or atleast should be) continually updated. The idea that this thing requiring updates being strange to people is absurd. Your computer needs updated, your phone needs updated, your apps and other software need updated. Updates are nothing new. I don't understand how if you have a hard time getting this thing to update due to congestion in the first few days that it impacts long term ownership. I'm buying a new car in april so I'm not even planning on getting one the first day. It could be 4-8 weeks after release before I end up buying mine.

I wouldn't call it hate per say. There are many people like me who love Nintendo games and that's all they want. I don't want to have to pay more than an xbox one or PS4 to access them though. The touch and motion controls just don't appeal to me and the portability. Having to worry about an internal battery that will wear out whether you have it docked all the time or not is another factor.

There are allot of hops to jump through just to play Nintendo games.

Your thinking as an adult who wants to play it. My nephew loves watching Netflix and Youtube on his tablet, screen resolution doesnt really matter much to him. And this system seems like its geared towards young kids more. It might not hurt Nintendo but I'm sure it could have helped sales. It could have generated some interest from parents looking to buy tablets for there kids.

Your thinking as an adult who wants to play it. My nephew loves watching Netflix and Youtube on his tablet, screen resolution doesnt really matter much to him. And this system seems like its geared towards young kids more. It might not hurt Nintendo but I'm sure it could have helped sales. It could have generated some interest from parents looking to buy tablets for there kids.
Actually, it seems as if Nintendo is advertising this system more towards adults than kids.

I wouldn't call it hate per say. There are many people like me who love Nintendo games and that's all they want. I don't want to have to pay more than an xbox one or PS4 to access them though. The touch and motion controls just don't appeal to me and the portability. Having to worry about an internal battery that will wear out whether you have it docked all the time or not is another factor.

There are allot of hops to jump through just to play Nintendo games.
Well it doesn't have touch controls for games and the motion controls are optional.

As far as battery life goes, todays Lithium Ion batteries are rated at around 80% capacity after 3000 charge cycles. Since the manufacturers are saying that I'd say it's probably closer to 2000-2500 cycles. We will be well into the next Nintendo console by the time the battery starts to lose capacity. Unless you completely abuse the thing going from 100%-0 and leaving it that way for days at a time. I see myself as having it off the dock less than 10 times a year. Even then, I built a 300Whr battery pack that I use for powering my telescope camera and laptop for days at a time. I don't really have that concern but I guess other people do.

And as far as the price is concerned, considering I spent more on my PC than I did on my car I'm not really in the position to complain about cost.

Back