Weekend tech reading: Kodak loses patent suit against Apple, RIM

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Kodak loses patent case against Apple, RIM Eastman Kodak has lost a patent case against Apple and Research In Motion, dealing a blow to the onetime film giant's efforts to raise billions of dollars by selling off its intellectual property. Kodak filed a complaint against the iPhone and BlackBerry makers at the U.S. International Trade Commission in early 2010, saying their devices infringed on its patent for previewing images with a digital camera. Late Friday, the commission dismissed the complaint, upholding a finding by one of its judges that the patent was invalid. The WSJ

Paging Dr. Wasteland: One man's crusade to heal DayZ's zombie victims My avatar remains concealed, wedged under the bush where I left him. I check that he is still hidden from all angles, then open my in-game map. If I head straight to my objective, southeast from my current position, I will have to wade through two large towns. Here in Chernarus, those built-up areas will be filled with the walking Zed and criss-crossed by survivors scavenging for food and equipment. Instead, I decide to head due east, skirting along low stone walls for a kilometer and a half, and then move south towards the Black Forest. I have never been in those woods, but they're just north of my rendezvous point and offer concealment the whole way to the meeting. Ars Technica

It's legal: cops seize cell phone, impersonate owner In November 2009, police officers in the state of Washington seized an iPhone belonging to suspected drug dealer Daniel Lee. While the phone was in police custody, a man named Shawn Hinton sent a text message to the device, reading, "Hey whats up dogg can you call me I need to talk to you." Suspecting that Hinton was looking to buy drugs from Lee, Detective Kevin Sawyer replied to the message, posing as Lee. Ars Technica

Gaming like its 1999: building a legacy Windows gaming PC Every year the college I graduated from, Beloit College, publishes its not-that-famous "mindset list." It’s a collection of one-liners, such as "Clint Eastwood is better known as a director than as Dirty Harry," meant to humorously remind professors that the experiences of their generation are not the same as the generation about to show up in their classrooms. I’ve sometimes felt a need for a similar reminder among gamers. PC Perspective

Which HTML5? - WHATWG and W3C split The two organizations currently responsible for the development of HTML have decided on a degree of separation and this means that in the future there will be two versions of HTML5 - the snapshot and the living standard. The Web Hypertext Application Technology Working Group (WHATWG) was formed in response to the slow progress being made by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) on the future of HTML. I Programmer

Why you shouldn’t write off Google+ just yet The joke has become that Google+ is now a social network for Google employees. But here’s the thing: Google+ is technically better than its rivals in a number of key ways. The user interface is comfortable and friendly. It’s easy to maintain circles of contacts, and to segregate what you share with each group. Discussions of small-to-medium sizes are manageable and readable -- even in real time. The Washington Post

Don't super-size my smartphone Has anyone else noticed what’s been happening to top-end smartphones recently? They’ve started to get big -- really big. It’s certainly true that with a bigger phone you’ll often get a bigger screen, and with a bigger screen you’ll see much more of a web page without having to pinch and zoom. But do people really want that at the expense of carrying around such a huge, heavy lump of tech in their pocket? PC Pro

Dell solidifies commitment to open source, developers at OSCON Dell has announced the expansion of three open-source software and cloud computing initiatives: the formalization of Project Sputnik resulting in a Dell product in the fall, its Dell’s Emerging Solutions Ecosystem to include Pentaho and Datameer, and enhancements to Dell’s OpenStack-Powered Cloud Solution and the Dell Cloudera solution. eWeek

AMD: Macroeconomic situation in the world slowing down microprocessor business Advanced Micro Devices said that the global macroeconomic situation has clearly affected sales of personal computers and hence AMD's revenues. In addition, AMD noted lower channel demand for its desktop A-series "Llano" accelerated processing units in China and Europe due to lack of mainboards. X-bit labs

EA boss: "the fastest growing platform for video games today is the PC" EA CEO John Riccitiello has been defending a downturn in EA stock in an interview with CNBC, spotted on CVG. He addresses a “a perception among investors that the game industry is tough to invest in right now” by challenging the validity of NPD reports that only take into account boxed retail sales in the US. PCGamer

Darpa funds hack machine you’d never notice If you saw this bad boy under your desk, would you say anything? It may look like a surge protector, but it’s really a remote access machine that corporations can use to test security and log into branch offices. Called the Power Pwn, it’s a stealthier version of the little box that can hack your network we wrote about last March. Wired

Uniloc sues Mojang over alleged patent infringement in Android version of 'Mindcraft' Texas-based tech-patent collector Uniloc has filed suit against Mojang, claiming that the Android version of "Mindcraft," (seriously, that's what it says in the filing), infringes upon Patent #6,857,067, "System and method for preventing unauthorized access to electronic data." Joystiq

Should developers protect gamers from themselves? Last weekend, an 18-year-old man booked a private room in a Taiwanese Internet café and started playing Diablo III. After 40 hours of playing without stopping to eat, he collapsed and died. It's hardly the first time something like this has happened, and it's not going to be the last, either. GameSpot

FCC: ISPs 'better' on meeting advertised broadband speeds The Federal Communications Commission's annual "state of the union" on ISP and broadband performance shows most Internet providers are offering speeds as advertised -- while others are offering Internet access at speeds that exceed consumer expectation. CNET

Why you won’t see hard AR anytime soon I’ve often wondered why it is that I’ve had the good fortune to spend the last 20 years doing such interesting and influential work. Part of it is skill, hard work, and passion, and a good part is luck -- in other places or times, matters would have worked out very differently. Valve

Permalink to story.

Classic. AMD marketing never gets old.
"Client product revenue declined 13% sequentially primarily due to a lower ASP as well as declines in unit sales of A-series "Llano" APUs as the company has failed to ensure proper supply of FM1 mainboards into the channel as it had concentrated on shipments to OEMs till early this year"
So, OEM PC shipments dropped by only 0.1%- essentially flat, and AMD are blaming a 13% decline in revenue on favouring OEM's ? It would seem likely that the decline has less to do with FM1 board availability than AMD Osborning themselves by making Llano and FM1 completely redundant after rushing Trinity into the public spotlight:
"In addition to production and design issues with the Trinity processors, AMD's previous-generation Llano processor's high inventory levels which need to be digested are reportedly one of the reasons that AMD decided to delay the launch of Trinity. However, AMD did not confirm the speculation"
Not great reading if you're an AMD stockholder- even worse when you consider Trinity and Brazos 2.0 both started shipping for revenue, and that revenue from these shipments are included in the overall figures.

Don't want cops going through your phone, put a lock on it.

Don't want a phone with a big screen etc? Don't effin buy it.

==============================

Must be a slow weekend for news.

PC is the fastest growing gaming market, because once you switch, you cant switch back to console. And the last remnants of even the slightest bit mature gamers are moving to PC.

Last weekend, an 18-year-old man booked a private room in a Taiwanese Internet café and started playing Diablo III. After 40 hours of playing without stopping to eat, he collapsed and died.

That's kinda sad, D3 isn't even that good of a game.

Don't want cops going through your phone, put a lock on it.

Don't want a phone with a big screen etc? Don't effin buy it.

==============================

Must be a slow weekend for news.

Don't want to sell your patents...uh...don't become a leader in digital photography.

Back