1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Weekend tech reading: The computer keyboard's evolution

By Matthew ยท 7 replies
Nov 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. When Bill Buxton worked at Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center in the early 1990s, he examined the classic children's homemade telephones: two cups connected by a taut string. He wondered why that same concept couldn't improve computer keyboards. Think about...

Read more

2. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 753   +212

The "creepy camera man" videos are the best.

3. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 744   +12

"Q&A: Electronic Arts COO fights to lead the new game industry"

Please, do everyone a favor EA and just terminate yourself and sell your assets to people with talent.

4. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +27

I think this is in the wrong place - topic is "The Computer Keyboard's Evolution":)

5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,261   +102

Ramonsterns, thanks for making me read the EA article. Peter Moore sounds like a pretty smart guy, and I liked some of the things he said there (for example about used games).

6. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 125   +27

I'm not convinced that using two cups & a piece of string would make an adequate substitute for a keyboard & screen?! :confused:

7. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Booster Posts: 247   +27

Absolutely. There's no mechanism to input characters from a cup, also have you tried finding a HDMI to piece-of-string converter? They just aren't available! :'(

8. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,940   +191

The NASA story was a very good read.
    When I was a child I dreamed of man going to Mars.

Nowdays I am just reminiscent of man going to moon
    Not really expecting any progress to be made in the foreseeable future
    It is very sad, in a way mimicking the state of the computer industry
    Decades ago we could do so much and there where no end of interesting developments.
    Nowdays all I do is look back at the past and feel like progress has stalled.
    I want my NCC-1701 Starship!