Weekend tech reading: The man behind online black market Silk Road

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Meet the Dread Pirate Roberts, the man behind booming black market drug website Silk Road An entrepreneur as professionally careful as the Dread Pirate Roberts doesn't trust instant messaging services. Forget phones or Skype. At one point during our eight-month preinterview courtship, I offer to meet him at an undisclosed location outside the United States. "Meeting in person is out of the question," he says. "I don't meet in person even with my closest advisors." When I ask for his name and nationality, he's so spooked that he refuses to answer any other questions and we lose contact for a month. Forbes

In WikiLeaks trial, defense shows Bradley Manning as good-intentioned idealist When, at the end of July, Bradley Manning was found guilty of nearly all the charges facing him, his long-running story entered a new chapter. With his guilt established, the trial turned to the matter of his punishment. He faces a potential 90 years in prison, and the judge, Army Colonel Denise Lind, holds his fate in her hands. She will consider the consequences of Manning's actions and the circumstances surrounding them. The deeper question Lind will also consider, though, is: who was Bradley Manning then, and who is he now? The Verge

How mobile technology created a workforce that never stops working Is the end of the cubicle upon us? For most people, the answer is "not today," but the mobile worker -- rarely in the office, getting most work done on a smartphone, tablet, or laptop -- is becoming an increasingly large presence in corporate America. Take Chad Burton, an attorney who founded Burton Law in Ohio. The members of his eight-lawyer team all work remotely. Burton himself almost never uses what most people think of as a "computer." Ars Technica

The untold story of Google's quest to bring the internet everywhere -- by balloon On October 16, 2012, the granddaughter of one of Allen Epling's houseguests spotted a shiny object in the sky. Epling, an amateur astronomer living in Pike County, Kentucky, grabbed his binoculars and spied a glimmering, tubelike shape hovering ominously high above. Along with his wife and guests, he watched it for more than two hours. "It wasn't anything I recognized," Epling later told a local reporter. Wired

Buying a laptop: everything you need to know We're not living in the "post-PC" era. Not by a long shot. As more of us work from home, or the plane, or the coffee shop, laptops might be more important than they've ever been. They've also become harder and harder to buy, as hardware specs have hit stratospheric heights while simultaneously somehow becoming even more difficult to explain or differentiate. It’s hard to buy a truly terrible laptop these days... The Verge

Expecting the unexpected from Jeff Bezos Early employees of Amazon still remember the day the company took away their aspirin. It was late 1999. After years of heady excess, the Internet boom was beginning to falter. Amazon, among the most celebrated of the dot-coms, was burdened with debt and spiraling losses. Jeff Bezos, its founder and chief impresario, had to impress Wall Street that he was serious about cutting costs. But how? The NY Times

Ask the experts: Intel's Aicha Evans talks wireless and answers your questions We've followed Intel's CPU team's march towards mobile for years now, but we've seen very little from the wireless group. That's all beginning to change. Earlier this year at MWC, Brian and I had one of our first meetings with the wireless group at Intel. In that meeting we met Aicha Evans, Vice President of Intel's Mobile & Communications Group. AnandTech

New discovery may make encryption ‘exponentially easier’ to break "Brute force" may not seem like a term well suited to mathematics or the quiet pursuits in cryptography that helped drive information security from the Second World War on through to the modern surveillance state. Yet, it's a term that may come back to prominence in the coming years, as researchers inch closer to finding the cracks in modern encryption algorithms. ExtremeTech

Out of the comics, into realityjet pack moves closer to market From Buck Rogers to James Bond, we all have a pretty concrete mental image of a jet pack -- a motorized backpack with little handles in front and smoke shooting out of the back. The New Zealand-based Martin Aircraft Co. doesn't just think it's turned the jet pack of your imagination into a reality. It thinks it's made something better. NPR

Hacker posts Facebook bug report on Zuckerberg's wall A Palestinian information system expert says he was forced to post a bug report on Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook page after the social network's security team failed to recognize that a critical vulnerability he found allows anyone to post on someone's wall. RT

Permalink to story.

The best ones will never be known or caught. The corrupt way of doing things goes both ways...Uncle Sam has scouts in the public, and we have scouts working for Uncle Sam.
What goes around comes around.

The best ones will never be known or caught. The corrupt way of doing things goes both ways...Uncle Sam has scouts in the public, and we have scouts working for Uncle Sam.
What goes around comes around.

Actually they're almost all caught eventually. I think there's only one mob boss in the history of the modern mafia who's died outside of prison after the age of 50 or something like that.

This Silk Road guy might have a chance though if he's true about making sure no one knows who or where he is. Almost every leader of a criminal enterprise is caught the same way... they catch a lower level dude, threaten him with prison, and he flips. That's worked on La Cosa Nostra all the up to Lulz sec. If this guy wants to stay free he has to be anonymous to absolutely everyone.

Actually they're almost all caught eventually.
Lol. Umm no.
I think there's only one mob boss in the history of the modern mafia who's died outside of prison after the age of 50 or something like that..
What?
The amount of mafia/criminal related types outside of prison FAR OUTWEIGH the ones that are in. We catch very few compared to whats out there in any organized crime ring.
Sorry to burst your "Were safe and everything is ok bubble", but behind the curtains of this world there is another one. Better for some people to just keep pretending its being dealt with or it doesn't exist, whatever helps ya sleep.

Frankly, I would hate to be him. To not be able to act freely and develop meaningful relationships with people because of your incriminating actions would be hell. That goes for anyone who builds their entire life on a foundation that is illegal. The deeper they go the more they create their own prison imo.

After receiving the third bug report, a Facebook security engineer finally admitted the vulnerability but said that Khalil won’t be paid for reporting it because his actions violated the website’s security terms of service.
So the Facebook team has learned if they ignore bug reports, the said individual might in good intentions violate the terms of service and void the reward offered. Another negative mark (you can make it a pun if you wish) against Facebook.

Sorry to burst your "Were safe and everything is ok bubble", but behind the curtains of this world there is another one. Better for some people to just keep pretending its being dealt with or it doesn't exist, whatever helps ya sleep.

So deep within the reaches of the dark web there is another world where criminals run free and everyday people fear for their lives? Is this a movie promo now?

How could Silk Road possibly keep me or anyone up at night? Just the knowledge that some people *gasp* do drugs?

So deep within the reaches of the dark web there is another world where criminals run free and everyday people fear for their lives? Is this a movie promo now? How could Silk Road possibly keep me or anyone up at night?
I was referring to the organized crime rings when you made the ridiculous comment about a mob boss.
As far as silk road, thats only what we know about. The best ones are unknown and basic sheeple like us will never know whats going on behind the scenes. You don't need to get upset over the fact that you don't really know or have the slightest clue what is really going on in this world, and don't pretend you do, it makes you look very silly.

It was hardly just a drug market site, you could get anything from handguns to AKs or even a hitman to go do it for you. They also sold fake US passports, US driving licence with holograms for most states and more or less anything short of a nuke or scud missile, what fun terrorist would have if they got out of their cave and worked off there. They could be in the US in a week or two and have access to all kinds of weapons. And thats the truth

Back