Weird display issue

Last night I encountered something very strange.

I often swap from my monitor to my tv when I want to play rocket league. Last night when I swapped hdmi cords and turned on the tv I saw my computer display for a few seconds and then I lost signal.

When I lost signal it sounded like my video card(or something else but that was my guess) went into high gear and started working it's *** off.

It didn't come back on. I didn't like that sound so I unplugged the hdmi. It stopped. I plugged it back in and it started revving up again.

I swap back to my monitor.

No signal. But no rev.

****. My graphics card just went?

Power down. Turn back on with it plugged into my monitor. No signal no rev. **** it probably is the card!?

I decide I'm going to power down and leave it til morning.

Turn computer on. I see it on my monitor! Let it boot, come back, swap to tv hdmi cord and it revs up and no signal. Swap back to monitor. No signal. Reboot. Now I have signal on the monitor.

This is where I am so far. With all of these things happening the way they are and having no tech knowledge but my first guess is the hdmi cord I'm using for the tv but hopefully one of you geniuses will point me in the right direction.

Specs: Windows 10 home 64bit i5-2500k cpu@3.30 GHz 8gig ram 6950 amd sapphire 2gb

Monitor is 1080p LED Tv is I think 720p or 1080i plasma

Your first guess sounds good to this genius. Cable is cheaper than TV. Cable wiring wears. Cable connectors wear. The other possibility is that the actual connector on the TV has an issue and/or the TV itself is wonky. The loud fan is just saying that the connection is not giving a signal and the loud high speed fan is protecting things as best it can from frying until you figure things out.

You have the right ideas. Work from 'known good' until something fails..then replace some part or another of what failed with a known good part. The video sub-system is card slot, card, card connector, cable connector, cable, cable connector, tv/monitor connector, tv/monitor. I usually have problems like yours when the dog has been chewing on something. He thinks he is a genius too.

Thanks for giving me the run down of what's going on with the card. When I get home on the weekend I'll be sure to try a different hdmi cord.

I wouldn't really be surprised.. Its like a 50 foot hdmi that I got for like 15 bucks from x cargo 5 years ago. I hope that's it. Again, thanks for your input.

50 FOOT! 5 YEARS OLD! Umm, yes, I think you will find solution may be very easy. Genius dog barks, "Hi." or maybe it was a "Yes."

Back