Welcome screen, start menu, and desktop all vanished

Status
Not open for further replies.

neverafretter

I recently installed AVG to find and get rid of any viruses. It found many. I then restarted my computer and my welcome screen w/ all users, my start menu, and desktop all disappeared. I can only get to windows task manager. I cannot run regedit, msconfig, nor explorer.exe. I also cannot use system restore. I am running XP with SP3. Can anyone please help me?

Boot to Advanced boot Menu and try Safe Mode.

If that don't work then try "Last Known good..

Get back with results. Do not try to run any virus scanner yet!

Mike

Thanks mflynn

I've tried both. Safe mode gives me the same issues (No desktop, no welcome screen, and can only navigate through task mgr).
"Last Known Good" did nothing as well. Still same issues.

Sorry but I tried that as well and received an error message. Would you like me to try it again and post exactly what the error message states?

No paste the below into the Taskmgr run

Paste following to Run command! This is System Restore
Code:
%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Mike

Ok hang loose i am preparing a download for you.

Do you have a flash drive to get something to the affected computer?

mike

I apologize Mike but can you be a bit more step by step. I'm not too tech savvy. Oh wait! I think I get it. Download the file, then in the script to paste, change the "h" to whatever letter the flash drive is?

Sorry Mike. I sincerely appreciate your help, but I received the same error msg:
"Windows cannot find rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 4 h:\dbfix.inf"
I then saved it to my second hard drive "G" and received the same thing with the exception of the letter change to "g".
I'm thinking I'm going to have to take it to a repair place, but I am going to at least wait until tomorrow to see if you or anyone else comes up with anything else.

Aggghhh!!! I was able to download, run, and enable all. The program asked me to reboot, so i did. Same problem. Nothing at all has changed.

If you did all this scanning where are the logs you were supposed to post??!!

I need that Info. If you were able to do the entire 8 steps we can fix this.

After running Daft and RatsCheddar did you try to run Explorer again?

If you did get MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware did you select and remove the found items or just exit.

Run MawareBytes and Super again Quick Scans on both and attach the logs back here!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back