Welcome to London Heathrow Airport Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5

Scorpus

Staff member

Yep, the title of this article is not a joke: if you're heading to London's Heathrow International Airport in the next two weeks, you mind end up passing through Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5. That is to say, Samsung has used their gargantuan marketing budget to rebrand Terminal 5 to include the name of their flagship handset.

This isn't just a renaming of the terminal, as every sign and digital screen in the building will be updated to say 'Terminal Samsung Galaxy S5'. All signage will be accompanied by images and promotional material relating to the Galaxy S5, so you'll be figuratively bombarded by the smartphone.

While Samsung hasn't been allowed to purchase official naming rights for the terminal, the extensive marketing campaign is being described as a "one-off opportunity" by Samsung's UK marketing VP, Russell Taylor. In fact this is the first time a company has been allowed to rebrand the name of a Heathrow terminal.

Taylor didn't disclose just how much the campaign has cost the company, but undoubtedly it'll be a small fortune, especially considering Terminal 5 is one of Europe's largest and busiest. Luckily Samsung is still recording huge profits, and will have no trouble spending this sort of cash.

Yesterday, Samsung revealed that they have sold 11 million Galaxy S5s since the launch of the smartphone one month ago, outpacing the Galaxy S4's sales by 10%. You have to wonder just how many more units they'll be able to push through this new marketing campaign.

Permalink to story.

They should have lavished that kind of money into the product itself, so it wouldn't be such a soporific update as it turned out to be.

Reminds me of movie Hancock when the guys painted his campaign logo on the moon. Way to go, loud and ballsy, just nothing to do with the product's merits.

I generally don't take issue with 101 marketing tactics, but in-your-face product placement has become epidemic in recent years. I speculate that within the not-so-distant future, ad-free space becomes the next hottest product....and people will eagerly pay handsomely for it.

Disgusting. This is in really bad taste. You'd think they'd throw money around where it matters. Samsung has gone down a good few points in my book. After buying their phones for years now I'm gonna look elsewhere when replacement time comes.
The world spent $1735 Billion on war in 2012 while it would take approximately $135 billion to totally eradicate poverty. Samsung's money wastage reminds me of it.

" That is to say, Samsung has used their gargantuan marketing budget to rebrand Terminal 5 to include the name of their flagship handset."

So this Gargantuan marketing budget is what $10billion.... $100billion... $2.5trillion??? come on guys give us a number Gargantuan could mean $10 or even $30 so please update your article to provide the correct information before just baltantly writing stuff that isn't true.

Remember its not a Gargantuan Budget if it doesnt exist...

They should have lavished that kind of money into the product itself, so it wouldn't be such a soporific update as it turned out to be.

Reminds me of movie Hancock when the guys painted his campaign logo on the moon. Way to go, loud and ballsy, just nothing to do with the product's merits.
Even if lavished the kind of money they wasted on the terminal on the product itself they would have still walked away with a healthy chunk of change. It's nothing short of absolute revulsion as far as I'm concerned. Check out my post below.

The world spent $1735 Billion on war in 2012 while it would take approximately $135 billion to totally eradicate poverty.
Because wars make money, that's their sole purpose. Check out movie "The International", which explains very well how it works ;)

Apple users, please be careful as you will be immediately kicked-out from that terminal as soon as you enter Samsung terminal :D

Disgusting. This is in really bad taste. You'd think they'd throw money around where it matters. Samsung has gone down a good few points in my book. After buying their phones for years now I'm gonna look elsewhere when replacement time comes.
The world spent $1735 Billion on war in 2012 while it would take approximately $135 billion to totally eradicate poverty. Samsung's money wastage reminds me of it.
Yeah this is hilarious.

Yeah this is hilarious.
There's very little to laugh about. I'm not having a go at you JC but Samsung really disgusted me with their poor taste, ostentatious display of wealth:mad:. I think I'll look into Apples phones next. Wait... don't take that comment seriously. ;)

Back