Western Digital My Book 1TB Network HDD- hangs on shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'm running vista 64, home premium and have recently purchased a WD 1TB network drive.

Now everytime I go to restart, put my computer into sleep or hibernate mode it hangs at the shutdown screen in vista. Only when I disconnect the external HDD and turn it off does my computer go back to normal.

I checked the removal policy from the HDD under the device manager and optimized for performance is checked. I can't get access to change it to optimize for quick removal. Does anyone know how to change the removal policy so it doesn't cause vista to hang?

Or does anyone know what might be causing this?

It is probably a good idea to shut down the HDD before shutting down the computer. It sounds like the drive is "writing back" how have you got your back-up settings? Auto Backup write\save to the WD 1Tb? There may be a way to hang-up the HDD on shut down/hibernate but this may corrupt it! in "Computer Management" - "Services and Applications" - "Services" but I don't have an external or WD drive so cannot get you any closer to this action --which I don't recommend anyway. Is there any info on the HDD enclosure\docking station at the manufacturer site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back