What case for Intel 2600K rig?

Sarmad

Hi all,

I'm looking for a case for a new gaming rig I'm building, which would also be used for other computer work such as video editing. The CPU will be the Intel 2400K. The case I've been reading great reviews about is the Coolermaster HAF X. I especially like it for its side window, features, quiet fans (according to reviews) and capacity (eg for long graphic cards, big coolers, etc). But this case was released around a year ago so I'm wondering if this is has sufficient airflow for an overclocked 2600K. The reviews I read all say it has excellent cooling but that would have been tested using the CPU's and components available at that time which probably run at different temperatures as today's components. What tower cases are other people on this forum using for their 2600K setups? Or are there any newer cases I should be looking at?

Thanks.

What other components you got in there? What's your budget?

The HAF X is an excellent case but there are plenty of other options as well. The HAF 932 is no slouch either at about $30 cheaper. You could even do with a good mid tower chassis like the Antec 900, CM 690 II, Thermaltake V9, etc.

Other than just room, airflow and cooling cases are also about aesthetic appeal. Take a look at some cases on newegg.com and find one that best suits your taste.

Note: There are some excellent case reviews here at Techspot. Don't forget to checkout those articles before you make your choice.

The CM 690 II is pretty good, as far as i heard.

It depends on how much you want to spend on the case, and it also depends on you components. It is no use to get a big case when you have an IGP(Integrated graphics processor),

What other components you got in there? What's your budget?

The HAF X is an excellent case but there are plenty of other options as well. The HAF 932 is no slouch either at about $30 cheaper. You could even do with a good mid tower chassis like the Antec 900, CM 690 II, Thermaltake V9, etc.

Other than just room, airflow and cooling cases are also about aesthetic appeal. Take a look at some cases on newegg.com and find one that best suits your taste.

Note: There are some excellent case reviews here at Techspot. Don't forget to checkout those articles before you make your choice.

That really sums it up nicely. I recently went with the HAF X but was also considering the Corsair Obsidian 800D. As far as cooling is concerned the HAF X does a good job at an affordable price.

There is this Czech company called Partis a.s. Their cases are called Eurocase. All of their products are currently middle towers or smaller. The one I am interested is called the Eurocase Middle Tower 9801 X2 COOLING. It has 5 fans installed and costs about 68 Euros without VAT. I don't think you can get them in the UK or USA. They are cheaper than the rest, but very good.

imo haf x or 932 are great HAF stands for High Air Flow so imo there both great cases stock i think the 932 has better cooling already installed but i like the looks of the haf x better.

Even the baby Coolermaster HAF912 is worth considering if you want a decent mid-sized case with plenty of cooling options. Its price is also pretty affordable. I own a HAF912+ and I've been very impressed with it for the price. It can really pack a lot of kit in it!

If your looking at multiple GPU's, I would consider a HAF932 or HAF X myself. I also love the Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution.

That really sums it up nicely. I recently went with the HAF X but was also considering the Corsair Obsidian 800D. As far as cooling is concerned the HAF X does a good job at an affordable price.

I think I'm very convinced that the CM HAF X is the one for me! Another thing, with the case's in-built cable management, is there any point in me getting a modular PSU? Because, even if I get a non-modular PSU, I can just hide the unused stray cabes/connectors away. But the way the cables loop behind the mobo tray and come back out again, do I need a PSU with extra long cables if they're going this longer route or will a PSU with standard length cables still be OK in a case like that?

Thanks.

The HAF 932 should be good. If I was willing to spend as much money into a case as you are I would take the HAF 932 or HAF X. Anything from coolermaster that suits you.

Didn't see what you wrote.

Modular PSUs are good with cable management, but even non-modular ones are good and cable management depends on how much time you are willing to put into the management. It also depends what PSUs are you considering.

I think I'm very convinced that the CM HAF X is the one for me! Another thing, with the case's in-built cable management, is there any point in me getting a modular PSU? Because, even if I get a non-modular PSU, I can just hide the unused stray cabes/connectors away. But the way the cables loop behind the mobo tray and come back out again, do I need a PSU with extra long cables if they're going this longer route or will a PSU with standard length cables still be OK in a case like that?

Thanks.

The only issue I encountered with cable length was with the cpu power cable. You want to feed it through the space above the motherboard before mounting the motherboard to the standoffs, it's kind of a tight fit. Need to route out the bottom opening right next to the power supply and go straight up the on the back panel then loop it over the top (or you could go under the motherboard). Since this is a full tower case you'll want to make sure of cable lengths when making your choice of power supply.

I've gone full modular on my last three builds, makes it a lot easier to keep things tidy. Currently have a build thread going now using the HAF X if you want to have a closer look. There are actually quite a few pictures woven into the thread mingled in with sporadic bouts of the boys having some fun :)

Plowing ahead with Bulldozer

Oh they were having fun. But seriously, the pictures are good. Maybe that will give you some sort of idea. By the way, is it worth the extra 50 Euros for the modular ones, Mizzou?

Oh they were having fun. But seriously, the pictures are good. Maybe that will give you some sort of idea. By the way, is it worth the extra 50 Euros for the modular ones, Mizzou?

It is to me, but it's really a matter of personal preference.

I have to say that having had a Corsair HX750, then going to temp modular PSU, and now having just got a Antec HCG-620 I'm seriously wishing I went for a modular unit and spent more money.

The Coolermaster HAF912+ is roomy for a mid size case, but its like an invasion of wiring inside the case, and all but 1 molex plug isn't even being used, so got loads of wire I wouldn't have needed. I'll shortly be using every single drive bay (including the add-on in front of the PSU) and having all these cables with nowhere to go is going to seriously hurt airflow, and its bad enough with a wall of disks behind the big front fan! :haha:

Shoot. So the modular is that good. I am not sure if 50 euros are worth it. The PSUs are Corsair GS800 and Corsair HX850. Difference is about 50 Euros.

So how does the modular one work? It still has cables coming out from it. Would the modular be good for me (first time going to build my PC)?

Well the Corsair HX850 is a much better unit, made I believe by Seasonic, and for 50 Euro's more its not a bad price actually. Having modular cables really does make life a lot easier.

The Corsair HX series also comes with a 7 year warranty, which is frankly brilliant!

The motherboard, cpu and two pci-e power connectors are hard wired on the HX850; everything else is modular. For a typical build with discreet graphics it's a given that you'll be using these.

The motherboard, cpu and two pci-e power connectors are hard wired on the HX850; everything else is modular. For a typical build with discreet graphics it's a given that you'll be using these.

Oh okay. Thanks Mizzou.

Been quite happy with the quality and cable management of the Corsair 600T for housing my 2600K, although it's a midi case which is quite deep compared to taller towers. There is a 650 model out too that looks very much like it's big brother the 800D Obsidian series case.

Sideways mounting HDs(2.5 and 3.5), tool-less 5 1/4 bays, rubber grommet cable management holes, quick release side panels, quiet 200mm fans. Really been the nicest case I've ever built a system in. Only downside is that its steel and plastic so quite heavy.
Finished_PC_3.jpg

Back