What do people use these days for firewall and anti-virus

centrino207

I hear zone-alarm is not that good these days like before and there are ads.

I hear avast and AVG has ads and it is hard to uninstall.

Norton and McAfee will slow your computer down and is bloated these days.

In Windows 10 it is called Defender. But yeah that is what I was referring to. It is enough for me.

And to be honest people who invite (accidental or intentional) viruses, it doesn't matter what anti-virus is use.

Hi @centrino207 You pretty much nailed all the problems with Anti-Virus programs in your first post. If you're running W10, then Windows Defender should be good enough. If you want all the protection you listed in your post #4, then you will have to get a program like malwarebytes. Here's a good read. Let us know how things go. I run W10 and use Windows Defender running in real time with malwarebytes pro. That's called a layered protection and IMHO the best protection you can have.
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwa...-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/

Well, I'm a Win/7 Pro diehard, so take this with a grain of salt.

First, 99% of AV are reactive, and at best, are effective AFTER you've been infected. I want(ed) a proactive solution to stop the infections before they get to the HD.

I've been using Avast! Free for years now and it proactively scans my email and all weblinks I click on. After the install, I have disabled the Filescan feature as the battery is precious and IMO, I don't need every EXE to be re-re-re-scanned upon every launch. The last infection I've suffered was back in 2006.

Second, I've installed the etc\hosts file from MVPS to control access to adverts and bad domains, and this works on any system regardless of your AV.

[edit] BTW: Avast! Free also runs on OS X[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW: Since Win/7 the Windows Firewall has been just great. Just be sure to use the Private Profile (aka HOME) unless you're needing access at a hotspot, in which case the PUBLIC profile is a real necessity

Back