What files are needed to use the Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabanknight

On my laptop a month ago I had a virus. upon removal i was unable to access the internet. This was fixed by repairing a file that i cannot remember the name of. Although my internet works I cannot get on programs like google earth and yahoo instant messenger. I think it is because certain windows files are needed for this to work. does anyone have a list of files needed for windows to acsess the internet so that I can repair the missing or broken files.

Yes I have tried disabling my firewall already and this missing file thing is the next thing that comes to mind unlesss anyone else has a better idea.

you're better off reinstalling your windows from scratch. use a good antivirus.

there are tons of internet browsers out there. Firefox, safari, mozilla, chrome, etc...

I try not to suggest reinstalling unless there is no other way to fix a problem.

You have not given us enough specific information.
I had a virus. upon removal i was unable to access the internet
What did you have and how did you remove it?

my internet works I cannot get on programs like google earth and yahoo instant messenger.
Are you using a shortcut to access these? Have you tried retyping either the URL in the Address Bar or putting 'Google Earth' in search and accessing the site from the list you get?

Shortcuts can become corrupt.

certain windows files are needed for this to work. does anyone have a list of files needed for windows to acsess the internet so that I can repair the missing or broken files.

If you have internet access but just can't get these programs to come up, try #2.

All programs have files they need to start. but there are no magic files for these programs. Either the shortcuts you're using are corrupt or the programs them selves are.

More information would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back