What is a Command Interpreter

I am trying to restore my emachines E525 to factory defaults. OS is Vista. When I reboot from my CDs I am asked to 'type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)'

What should I type???

This is an unusual error for a Vista machine.

Are you booting from an original/genuine MS Windows disk?

Edit on 10/6 - Add the Following
Fix MBR in Vista

In Vista, the procedure to fix the master boot record is a bit different from XP.
You have to start up Vista in the Recovery Environment and then run the bootrec command. Here’s how.

1. First, load up the Windows Vista disc in your drive and press any key to boot from the disc.

2. Choose the language, time, currency, etc and click Next. Now click on Repair Your Computer.

3. Choose the operating system to repair and click Next. When the System Recovery Options dialog comes up, choose the Command Prompt.

4. Now type bootrec.exe and press Enter. This will rebuild the boot configuration data and hopefully fix your problem. You can also run the command with switches to fix just the master boot record (/fixmbr), the boot sector (/fixboot), or rebuild the entire BCD (/rebuildbcd).

Edit on 10/10
Removed material specific to XP for two reasons...
1. Not germane to the OP.
2. Questions re: FixBOOT and FixMBR and the best sequence for using them...

I am trying to restore using the emachines restore CDs that came with my laptop. These discs have a complete backup of all the software that was loaded when I bought the machine.
I load cd1 and then restart and hit F2 to go to BIOS and choose reboot from D:\ drive, my dvd drive, and get prompted to enter the Command Interpreter, that is as far as I get

I would like to suggest that you re-title your initial post.
This may then bring others viewers who can better address your needs.
Since what you are trying to do is
Attempting to Restore Vista OS - on Emachines Laptop - using "Restore" CDs
Go to your first post, and click edit, then click the advanced edit option.
You can then change the title. I would suggest using what I have typed in the quote box.
I have no direct experience with Vista, and I think you need someone who does have that experience.
Changing the title may help pull them in.

Back