What is the difference between i5-2500 and i5-2500K

andoyan

hello all,
Can someone explain what is the difference between this two processor, one is more money than the other!
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500 Price $209.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K Price $224.99

thank you for all your help.
Jon

I can tell you the difference. The one with the K suffix has an unlocked multiplier to allow for easy overclocking.

The K is for OC, so if you have no plans to OC, just stick with the basic version. They both have the same specs.

Enjoy

Isn't the K also a designation for the "Unlocked multiplier" CPU models, better for overclocking.

Isn't the K also a designation for the "Unlocked multiplier" CPU models, better for overclocking.
You are of course, correct. What is a tad mystifying is the adverb, "also". K means unlocked multiplier, period. That said, I realize the implied risk of using "overclocking" in conjunction with "unlocked multiplier", as it opens up another line of potential interrogation.

So..., IMO..., considering the price difference of less than $20. USD, I see no point in buying the non "K" model. Even if you don't overclock, you still get the bragging point of knowing that you could, and very easily. Sic; "I cud overclock thissy here baby anytime Ah wunt"! See what I mean?
The K is for OC, so if you have no plans to OC, just stick with the basic version. They both have the same specs.
That said, once again I find my opinion at odds with my "superior ranking officer". The only way I can possibly explain my insubordination is this, "within a few short "years", your financial situation will most likely stabilize, in spite of having pissed away 15 dollars like a drunken sailor"!

Not sure unless you give an exact link, instead of copying the text.
lol if you can't tell the difference between them with just the model number then i don't know how a link would help.
Knowing something that somebody else doesn't seem to, goes right to your head, doesn't it? (LOL) ;)

In any event, I'll provide links to the two CPUs anyway:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115071 These are supplied in the hope you will realize that anyone reading these specs, will probably know as much as you do, thereby helping you to work through your superiority complex.

As always, your humble servant, captaincranky

I could have done without the "also" I guess Captain, but to be honest with you I thought being an unlocked multiplier was one of several things that gave the CPU the "K" designation, so wanted to play it safe. :)

I knew for certain that was one reason, but wasn't 100% sure it was the only. :)

I suppose you could attach the "also" to the higher price......:haha:

Besides I'm a huge fan of qualifying adverbs myself! "Probably", "most likely, "eventually", the list goes on. :rolleyes:

These are supplied in the hope you will realize that anyone reading these specs, will probably know as much as you do, thereby helping you to work through your superiority complex.

Calm down old timer, I wasn't bragging or showing off. If smash couldn't tell the op what he needed to know from the info pasted, then I don't see how asking for a product link would have helped him. Seriously, TECHSPOT forums......if he didn't know the answer then I guess he's never read an article on this site, or he completely missed the K on the product name.

This Too Shall "Pass".........

Smash had a brain fart, happens to the best of us....:rolleyes: That's what happens when you get on in years, you get crotchety.....:evil:

lol if you can't tell the difference between them with just the model number then i don't know how a link would help.

I hit the thread on my droidx, maybe missing the "K" in the title. I did actually sit around for 2-3 minutes wondering if this was an option available on some sites where the "extreme," versions are sold with or without a stock cooling fan.

But if you feel the need to point out the obvious with your above quote you may have just purposely made yourself look more ignorant than I could have made myself look mistakenly. You came to pun me but managed to pun yourself and still didn't give an answer to the original post.

Smash had a brain fart, happens to the best of us....:rolleyes: That's what happens when you get on in years, you get crotchety.....:evil:

I've been in medical school for the last 3 years. Minus the winter semester. I missed a "K," but I doubt it is the first or the last. I could write "I miss Ks" on my head if this to will appease the masses.

I've been in medical school for the last 3 years. Minus the winter semester. I missed a "K," but I doubt it is the first or the last. I could write "I miss Ks" on my head if this to will appease the masses.
Actually, we've moved on to adverbs. Specifically, the kind that allow you to stop short of making a fully declarative statement. I think that "almost" sums up what I'm trying to say.....;)

As for missing the "K", no biggy. But if your PA misses a period...big biggy.....

About the no sleep for the past three years issue, condolences. But just think, you may move from an occasional "brain fart", to occasional brain surgery. Zees vill pays bettair, no....? Vatch zee vatch..........You are getting zleepy, zleepy, zleepy......:zzz:

Back