What is the point of Windows updates for software that is not installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungua

I run a Dell XPS M1530, the crappiest machine I have ever owned. Among other things, I have recently received my second new harddisk and a new motherboard. Now I am setting up Windows XP again, since this is the OS that I experience to work best over time (based on five years of OpenSuSe, a couple of months Ubuntu and Vista, in addition to growing up with the whole Windows-family).

I wonder: Why would I get an offer of accumulated and just common "security updates" for Internet Explorer 6, when the first thing I do is to remove the thing? I do not have Iexplore, Outlook or whatever, but the updates window keeps popping up. Can I adjust that?

Thank you in advance!
Ungua, with XP Pro SP3

It seems there is really no effective way of convincing Windows that there is no IE of any sort on a PC. What you can do is not allow updates to install automatically, just download automatically. Then when the pop-up happens for permission to install, you uncheck the IE updates, and also mark them 'do not offer these updates again'. Personally, I go further, and just require Windows to tell me if updates are available. I then uncheck those I dont even want to download, also saying don't offer again. And it works.

Internet Explorer is a part of Windows, so I'm very curious how you were able to remove it.
How do you go about downloading and installing Windows updates since you "removed" IE?

@gbhall, that's exactly what I do, and that is also why I am somewhat annoyed that I do not want to be told about those updates ever again, several times.
@broni, control panel => add or remove software => windows components.

Best regards
ungua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back