What is this... I like it?

FAll3N

So I downloaded and tried Path Finder.. I uninstalled it afterwards, but while it was installed, I used that menu item 'Path Finder>Hide Finder Desktop' and it like, got rid of my desktop... It shows nothing now.. No files, no HD, no external disks, no CDs.. And I can't add any visible files.. They are invisible as soon as I add them.. I can't see/edit the desktop, unless I make a new Finder window and navigate to it... but, I an save files to desktop, like from a save dialog. When I uninstalled Path Finder, this change stayed... What did it do? Did it likke modify the permissions of something? Did it add or change some plist file entry? What is this, so I can reproduce it later without using pathfinder?

You may be able to reverse the setting if you reinstall Path Finder.

Or, you could use system restore to go back before Path Finder was installed.

On terminal type:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder CreateDesktop -bool false

Then to restart the Finder type:
Code:
killall Finder

If you want to revert the setting retype the first command but now with `true` and restart the Finder again.

From: http://osxdaily.com/2009/09/23/hide-all-desktop-icons-in-mac-os-x/

Edit: I don't know if this the way Path Finder hides the desktop icons, but if you want to reproduce it this steps will do it

thanks a lot.. yes that is exactly what it is! What else does killing the Finder do? Does it affect SSH or anything else?

No it does not. "killall Finder" simply restarts the Finder process, so that the changes you made to the config take effect since it's loaded only on process startup.

oh ok. Is there a way, (from the local machine) to close all ssh sessions and/or prohibit them from being started?

Back