Inactive What is vnvhlxobll.exe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This file has been running and duplicating itself on startup trying to launch Google Chrome windows with specific URLs (luckily I don't have google chrome), with some copies going rapidly up to 50 CPU and back down again faster than I can end the processes, which slows basic computer functions to a crawl. Only with the modem turned off and the "work offline?" window unanswered does it stop duplicating, however when I looked at Documents and Settings the number of files under Properties was increasing by several thousand per second and stopped when the disk reached its maximum of 13.6 G. The Temp file is empty due to a recent cleanup and I don't know where these files have been created. It comes from Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data in a folder called Apple which has its own fake Rundll.exe. I deleted this folder and now it's back. I have AVG, Spybot, Malwarebytes and UVK installed but I can't find where to enter the name of a specific bug to block (getting these to run while the program is active is difficult). I was not on any unusual websites when it happened; just have IE, Aol and Apple Itunes on XP.
PS- Windows Security tells me AVG has expired even though it was put on this machine by a professional service, not a trial subscription, but AVG is still running and takes up a lot of CPU, so what is it doing?

Welcome aboard

File name looks suspicious.

Please, complete all steps listed here: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/
Make sure, you PASTE all logs. If some log exceeds 50,000 characters post limit, split it between couple of replies.
Attached logs won't be reviewed.

Please, observe following rules:
  • Read all of my instructions very carefully. Your mistakes during cleaning process may have very serious consequences, like unbootable computer.
  • If you're stuck, or you're not sure about certain step, always ask before doing anything else.
  • Please refrain from running any tools, fixes or applying any changes to your computer other than those I suggest.
  • Never run more than one scan at a time.
  • Keep updating me regarding your computer behavior, good, or bad.
  • The cleaning process, once started, has to be completed. Even if your computer appears to act better, it may still be infected. Once the computer is totally clean, I'll certainly let you know.
  • If you leave the topic without explanation in the middle of a cleaning process, you may not be eligible to receive any more help in malware removal forum.
  • I close my topics if you have not replied in 5 days. If you need more time, simply let me know. If I closed your topic and you need it to be reopened, simply PM me.

Update: I discovered the files are coming from a parent folder called "rhkbo" under Application Data\Microsoft. I may have been mistaken about new files being created at an alarming rate, it may just have taken Properties several minutes to count all the files in Documents and Settings and I'd never seen that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back