What is volume label and how to find the correct volume label?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pw2much

I have been trying to format and make bootable a 4GB flash drive to use to flash my bios but everytime I try to format the drive it tells me that I have a bad volume name. Can anyone please explain what is a volume name and how to apply the correct volume name to a device being formatted?

That "Wrong/Bad Volume Name" message can sometimes be a symptom of Windows being "confused" and thinking the device just inserted is something else. Give this a try [post=875300]How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers[/post]

yes I believe it was, is that the wrong format it's a Gigaware 4GB flash drive and I wanted to use it to flash the bios on my computer and I'm having a bit of a problem with formating the flash drive to be bootable. now I've formatted the drive but am having trouble making it bootable.I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.

The last time I tried to format the flash drive I dragged the files to it will it work that way or do I need another way to set it up.the files show when I click on the drive but will it work doing it that way.

The last time I tried to format the flash drive I dragged the files to it
> Simply dragging files to the drive is simply copying files to the drive (same as if you were dragging and copying files to a hard disk
> Just as you can't simply drag files to a hard disk to make it bootable you can't simply drag files to a flash drive to make it bootable
> Special formatting (which includes special files written to special sectors) are required to make something bootable

There are guides for creating bootable stuff you can Google to find (i've never tried building my own bootable flash drive so can't give personal advice)

=> I believe there's a guide in the Guides and Tutorials forum about creating a bootable flash for XP (for example) if that should help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back