What percentage free space is required for readyboost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliah

my flashdrive which used to be readyboost compatible suddenly did not meet the requirements for readyboost. it's an imation nano 1gb flash drive, that has about 575mb free space left...any help?

ReadyBoost Minimum Flash Memory Device Requirements:
256 MB USB 2.0 or PCI Flash Memory Device
2.5 MB/sec throughput for 4K random reads
1.75 MB/sec throughput for 512K random writes

ReadyBoost Maximum Flash Memory Device Requirements:
1 Flash Memory Device
4 GB Flash Memory Device

ReadyBoost Recommended Flash Memory Device Requirements:
1:1 ratio of flash memory to system memory on low memory systems
2.5:1 ratio of flash memory to system memory on high memory systems (Higher than that and you won't see much benefit)
http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/VistaRequirements.html#ReadyBoost
Notes - "When you connect a supported flash device to your system and choose the Speed Up My System option, Windows Vista runs a quick performance test to see if the device meets minimum standards required for ReadyBoost. These results must be consistent across the entire device. If any of these tests fail, the drive is rejected. You can look up the specific performance results for yourself. Open Event Viewer (Eventvwr.msc) and click the Applications And Services Logs category in the console tree on the left. Under this heading, click Microsoft, Windows, and ReadyBoost. Under this latter heading, select Operational. The log entries in the center pane include performance test results for both successful and unsuccessful attempts."

Eighteen percent bare minimum. But it is the speed that matters, and there are huge differences in speed and storage of flash drives.
As to yours, the technology differs a lot. If you buy a new one that says ReadyBoost capable, or do a Gurgle Search for ReadyBoost capable... or shop for those that show up in ReadyBoost search. There are a lot of them, and they are now very low cost... though they will not get much lower. The industry has finally figgered out how to find the bottom in the price drop.

Here is what I get when I try your recommended site:

Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found.
Suggested Actions

* Check the URL that you have typed and retry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back