What PSU Should I Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trigg215

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 I just recently switched my Geforce 8500 GT to a Geforce 9800 GT And minimum system requirements for the card is a 400w PSU... I'm running a 305w, In order to keep my system running mint I'm going to need a stronger PSU, but i dont know exactly how much wattage i need... I don't know that much about PSU's and i was reading that the more things you're running the more power you need... I'm running

Pentium 4 Hyper Threading 2.4 Ghz
2 Sata HDD's
1.5 Gig Ram
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT {1 Gig}
DVD drive
CD-RW drive

My PSU is also an ATX...

That Thermaltake PSU does not deliver enough power on the +12V rail for a 600W PSU (only 29A vs around 50A or so on other similarly-priced models like the TruePower Trio 650W and Corsair 650TX). It is more or less a 450W PSU being sold as a 600W one.

This PSU provides the same amount of power on the +12V rails for a far lower price and free shipping. It is also better in terms of build quality.

Thank you for your suggestions...I just want enough power to run everything smoothly for a low price. I don't need a lot of extra wattage, anything sufficient to just get the job done will be appreciated.

How low? The Antec EA380\Corsair 400CX is the minimum you should aim for. The OCZ SXS500 is also a good choice, although if you can get the Corsair or the Antec PSU, they are far better choices.

How low? The Antec EA380\Corsair 400CX is the minimum you should aim for. The OCZ SXS500 is also a good choice, although if you can get the Corsair or the Antec PSU, they are far better choices.

If you suggest that the Antec and Corsair are better than ill probably go with that, well thanks for the help i'll be back when i buy it and test run it...

This isn't the best deal I've ever seen on this particular PSU, but it's still a decent one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...371006&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-17-371-006-_-Product

The Antec "Earth Watts" EA- 430 is the step up from the EA-380. It would handle a better graphics card, such as a 9600GT, whereas the EA-380 would be more comfortable with a 9500GT series card. The 9600 series card would double the frame rates on most games, should this be of interest to you. THe 9500GT cards still are quite good at driving a High Def TV

I don't know, i have an antec earthwatts 380 and I'm fine with:
9600gt 512 @ 730/1825/1025(2050)
Core 2 duo 3ghz - 3.3ghz
2gb RAM @ ≈ 1000
single 500gb hdd.
But yes, i would say i am pushing it.

I've seen the 430 cheaper than that on newegg O.o.

Power supplies are most efficient near their peak load.

I don't know, i have an antec earthwatts 380 and I'm fine with:
9600gt 512 @ 730/1825/1025(2050)
Core 2 duo 3ghz - 3.3ghz
2gb RAM @ ≈ 1000
single 500gb hdd.
But yes, i would say i am pushing it.

I've seen the 430 cheaper than that on newegg O.o.

Power supplies are most efficient near their peak load.

Just dont run crysis with that cpu or you may get a quick reboot/freeze.

Just dont run crysis with that cpu or you may get a quick reboot/freeze.

I have finished Crysis and warhead and I have never had any issues related to my powersupply. Yes, I am running a minimalist build, and its probably better to use a more powerful powersupply.

Mate, you do not need a new PSU. The EA380 is good enough for any PC equipped with an 8800GT, so a 9600GT will not stress it too much at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back