What should I buy?

GNS1310

My preference has always been a desktop PC. Gimmie a keyboard and a mouse and I'm happy.

I'm having the same issue I had with my last two laptops...the power connection is becoming loose. It got to the point where I couldn't get juice to my last laptop and I tore it all apart and eventually replaced it. Same thing happening now.

Everyone keeps telling me to buy a tablet or something along those lines.

I hate...and I mean HATE surfing the web on my smartphone. Idk much about tablets (that's why I'm here) but I would think surfing on them would be roughly the same, just a bigger screen.

I did see the tablets with the keyboard dock...wondering if that's the way I should go.
I'm running Windows 7 on both the PC and Laptop and want to stick to that OS.

Do the tablets plug in to charge the way a cell does or the way a laptop does? I've never had any issue with my phones not getting juice but I've had issues with my last three laptops over time.

I use my latop and PC for the same things...surf the web, to follow walkthrus for games, videos on YouTube, I use Word a lot on both machines, my firends come down and play poker on the play money sites etc...

Am I stuck in a laptop-PC world, or is there a device out there I should be taking a look at?

Going to hit up Amazon and take a look and do some homework on my own.

I did see the tablets with the keyboard dock...wondering if that's the way I should go.
I'm running Windows 7 on both the PC and Laptop and want to stick to that OS.

If you want to stick with Windows 7, then don't bother with a tablet. The touch experience on the desktop is terrible (and not much improved on Windows 8). If you still want something mobile, you can look into the ultrabooks that are on the market. Your best option would be something with a new Haswell processor, but it won't come with Windows 7, so you'd have to reinstall that yourself.

A Windows 8 tablet will suit your needs. Go to a local best buy store and try one out. Ask for the "Micorsoft Surface Pro". If you like that new OS and dont mind the tablet form factor, then go for a tablet. If you still prefer Windows 7, you will need to buy a laptop and downgrade the OS (or find an older laptop running Win 7).

Keep in mind though, the Surface Pro (and many other tablets), have options to add a keyboard. The Surface will probably have a keyboard, so you can try that out too.

Apple macbooks use the magsafe adaptor, so there is nothing to 'become loose'. You can install Windows on them too.

Surface RT and Pro also use magnetic power adaptor.

I am unsure on other devices.

Back