What to do in Safe-mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonisaksson

Hello,

I was playing a game last night when my computer froze midgame.
I rebooted the computer and everything seems to go fine until about the time when I would expect to see the login screen, my monitor goes black and eventually does the monitor goes into sleep mode.

I can reboot into safe mode but because I don’t see any error message during the normal boot up I am not sure what to do in safe-mode.

I tried to un-install the game I was playing in case it was that that caused the problem but doesn’t seem possible in safe-mode

Are there any standard steps to go through while in safe-mode that you would recommend to try to fix the problem

Regards
Jon

Yes

Just check Device Manager (Start->Run-> Devmgmt.msc)
Click the plus sign against your Video Adapter
And then right click on your actual Video card device, and select remove (it may say un-install)

Reboot to Normal mode (which will look quite sad)
And allow the drivers to be re-installed for your Video card
Or download the most up to date ones from the web

Thank you kimsland.

I tried this but when i select uninstall, I get an error message saying "Failed to uninstall the device. The device may be required to boot up the computer". :(

Any ideas?

***Update, I disabled the video card first then I could uninstall the video card. And now I can get into Windows in normal mode!!
You are a star Kimsland!!! I owe you one (or big bunch of them)

Well my computer problems are continuing unfortunately.

I needed to copy a large amount of files from one hdd to another. So put it to copy and then came back a few hours later to notice my screen had frozen.
So i rebooted the computer but to my horror didnt the screen even come on.

I assumed my gfx card had finally given up did I move a gfx card from another computer (which works) but still nothing. It doesnt even seem to boot.

So I am assuming this is my motherboard that has given up? Seems strange that it has happen just as I was having gfx card problem (or so I thought) which makes me a bit worried.
Anyway, the fans are all coming on, I hear my dvd drive do a read or two but that is it. No picture and no furhter read of the hard disk. No beeping from the motherboard

Can I safely assume it is the motherboard or are there anythign I can do test this theory (before I run out and by a new one)?

Thanks
Jon

Making the assumption that your post beep is coming in normally (that beep when you turn on your PC):

I would suggest trying to startup using the onboard video, if your motherboard has one, and if it does not, then tracking down a pci video card (may not be worth it, but give it a try if you had one lying around). I don't know if you are using AGP or PCIe but i have been having a lott of issues with some of my mobo's agps lately (involving windows updates maybe?).

if its still not working on the onboard video (still assuming its booting and you just can't see anything) I'd try resetting the bios, most boards do this with a jumper and if you look close at the mobo its usualy listed next to the jumper, to be safe id check your mobo manual on how to do that, or look up a tutorial.

Assuming your not getting your post beep then something else gave, in which case i usualy start unplugging things and restarting it over and over. By process of elimination you can usualy figure out whats shorting you out. Resetting the bios could still help here, as it could be trying to load something like your video card, and default settings could get things rolling again.
Good luck Jon

Again, and as always, many thanks for all of your help guys.
I tried with an old power supply and it booted up just fine with that one, i had to use an old graphics card as my old PSU would never have copied with it.

Now I just need to buy my self a new PSU.

Been thinking of going for a modular PSU, but never actually had one

What PSU would you guys recommend?

I calculated the wattage (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine) and according to that site I would need 437 W in 100% load.

So I was thinking of going for a Corsair 620W HX V2.

Any thoughts?

I have had so many power supplies die that I have just been buying them at the flea market, at a rate of about one a year, per computer, so i'm not realy qualified to answer that.

I'm very partial to Enermax PSU's. They are top notch. Kinda pricey, but their advertised wattage is its true output, not just it's max. Corsair is good, so is Thermaltake.
Just check the reviews people leave at newegg.com

And, sethbest, be careful with cheapo PSU's, when they die, they tend to take out the mobo sometimes. I've never had a PSU die on me, but hey, that's how computers are. I say this line at least twice a day:

"Any component can fail at any time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back