What to do with an old lan and driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

I just installed two new nic cards in my two machines. What do you advise doing with my other lans. The one computer has a dual lan built in to the mobod and the other is a single built in. What is the standard process for the drivers etc? Thanks.

So you have 2 computers and no router. It doesn't matter if one computer has 2 Ethernet ports. Each computer should be connected to a wired router connected to the DSL or Cable modem

If I understand your original post correctly, you are saying you replaced the onboard LAN "cards" in each of the two PCs with separate NIC cards (PCI or PCI-E) and you are wondering what to do with the old onboard LANs. If I got that right, you don't really have to do anything to the old LAN. If you want, you can disable them in the BIOS. You don't have to do anything with the LAN drivers either although you can uninstall them if you want.

Well, I knew it would work fine but I was wondering if any of you knew if it would free up any resources by either uninstalling the drivers or disabling the lan in bios?

Well, I knew it would work fine but I was wondering if any of you knew if it would free up any resources by either uninstalling the drivers or disabling the lan in bios?
Doing both (disabling in BIOS and uninstalling drivers) will each save a small (but > 0) number of resources.

> Suggest you uninstall the drivers first then disable as, by default, only present/detected devices appear in Device Manager (otherwise, you'd need to set Device Manager to display "ghost" (i.e. non-present) devices to see drivers for "non-present" devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back