What to look for in a gaming PC?

Squatz101

Hi, im thinking of getting a pc to run games on (mainly WoW) and was wondering if this one meets the requirements just so I know what im looking for in a gaming pc.
sorry to be such a pain! Im a little new to computers :)

Here is the pc im looking at:

Intel Dual Core E6500 2.93Ghz 4GB RAM 500G Computer PC

Other information (if needed):

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 2.93GHz
Case :ATX Midi Tower Case with 550W ( 2 Front USB+Audio&Mic 550W power supply for gaming )
Motherboards :Gigabyte or Asus Intel G41 Chipset LGA775 Motherboard
Memory : 4Gb ( 2 x 2GB ) DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
Hard Drive : Western Dig​ital,Seagate,Samsung or Hitachi 500GB SATA2 Hard Drive
Video card :Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 (onboard)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500 support Microsoft DirectX10, Intel® Clear Video Technology, which enable smoother HD playback. The 3D enhancement of GMA X4500 also highly improves the realism and graphics performance for mainstream gaming.
Optical Driver : 22x Dual Layer DVD Super All Write Drive
Sound Card : Intel High Definition Audio (onboard) High Definition Audio

Again, sorry to be a pain but any help would be great!

I dont really have too much of a budget, but it would be good if the whole thing didnt go over $1000. Then again, I have no idea on pricing..

Do you think you could recommend a certain case for all this? just don't want to get it wrong.
It turns out I already have windows 7 waiting to be installed so any case that fits these components would be good!

I rather like the i5-2300K

The i5 2300 is an excellent CPU. No arguments. Just thought that the build I recommended was more powerful overall under the $1000 bracket.

If the OP swaps the AMD for the Intel CPU he'll still probably keep the build within budget. :)

Wow I honestly didn't expect to get this much help, it is much appreciated.
I haven't bought anything yet but what you have posted looks golden to me.
My only concern is the processor...
Are you sure that I will be able to fit the intel i5 (the one that *hellokitty* posted) in this motherboard? Are there any disadvantages or advantages of why I should buy AMD instead?

? Are there any disadvantages or advantages of why I should buy AMD instead?

If this is a gaming rig, The AMD will perform very well. I have the x6 1055T feeding a 4x 5850 crossfire machine and it performs with the best of them. if you are going to be doing things like video editing,rendering , and the like. The Intel architecture is superior.
There is price/performance to be considered as well. As an example, I wanted a 6-core CPU, but didn't want to pay what Intel was asking for theirs. i got the the AMD 1055T and clocked it up to 4.1Ghz. if that is something that works for you, it is a great deal.
Here is a benchmark where you can see where all this fits together. If you are considering the 1055T Ritwik suggested, keep in mind that the 1055T, 1075T,1090T and the 1100T are all the same CPU. They are just clocked different from the factory. I have mine running at the 4.1Ghz as they have here in this bench. and It is now priced at $179.00
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-crosshair-iv-formula-review/14

For what you are doing with this machine, I dont think there is much of a debate between the AMD x6 and the i5. the x6 outperforms the i5(750)
by a wide margin. if you are deciding between the X6 and an i7 product, or the 2xxxK Sandy bridge, that's a different story. Then you need to consider what else you will be using the machine for.
Did that help/ or confuse you more? :)

My only concern is the processor...

Either CPU will be a good choice. In most benchmarks the 1055T will probably do a little better than the 2300. The 2400 would again probably do slightly better than the 1055.

Are you sure that I will be able to fit the intel i5 (the one that *hellokitty* posted) in this motherboard?

No. You'll have to get a different motherboard. The one HK linked along with the CPU is pretty good.

For what you are doing with this machine, I dont think there is much of a debate between the AMD x6 and the i5. the x6 outperforms the i5(750)
by a wide margin. if you are deciding between the X6 and an i7 product, or the 2xxxK Sandy bridge, that's a different story. Then you need to consider what else you will be using the machine for.
Did that help/ or confuse you more? :)
It helped a lot :) I always assumed the i5 would run better than the AMD x6 but your link says otherwise. I was thinking of buying a 2400 sandybridge however and it would mainly be for gaming. Is the 1055T still a better gaming option? Im just a little unsure if its worth buying it over the 2400 because of its 6x core.

Thanks ritwik for relieving the tension, I would have probably bought the wrong motherboard otherwise :grinthumb
You also managed to post a hard drive that was better, had 250 more gb and cost $20 less than the one I was going to buy along with a cheaper dvd burner.
Now all I have to do is buy a liquid cooler so I can overclock without any problems.
Cheers mate!

Back