What to upgrade first?

By ETF Soldier · 7 replies
May 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi guys,
    In the coming months is my 18th and I also start my apprenticeship in October, which means I'll finally be earning a steady income. I know I'm definitely going to upgrade by the end of the year but I have a few questions first, but first let me show you my current rig.

    CPU: AMD Phenom ii X6 1045T @ 2.7 GHz
    MOBO: Asus M5A78L microATX
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6870
    PSU: Colors-IT 550W
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2*4GB @ 1600MHz

    Right, so the issues I'm facing here is whether I should do it all in one go and save up or do it gradually, and if I do either I just want a second opinion on compatibility. So, I was planning on either upgrading to:

    CPU: Intel i5-4670K 3.4GHz
    MOBO: Gigabyte Z87-HD3
    GPU: Nvidia GTX GeForce 780
    PSU: Corsair CX750W

    So I could either by the CPU, MOBO and PSU together and transfer my old stuff for a few months, or I could get the GPU and use that with my existing rig for a few months.
    My questions are:
    • Would the GTX 780 work with my current motherboard & power supply?
    • What offers the biggest jump in gaming performance?
    Thanks guys, it's would be a great help! The upgrade should cost me about £630 in total, I'm not sure how much I'll get for my 18th, and if I do whether I want to burn through it all right away so I'd rather do it in £300 or so chunks which conveniently it splits up into (£300 for CPU, PSU & MOBO and then £330 for GPU).
  2. St1ckM4n

    St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,922   +630

    The GPU offers biggest jump in gaming performance, but it recommends a 600W PSU. Considering you have an old Athlon 6-core CPU that chews power, and an old no-name PSU, I wouldn't risk it.
  3. ETF Soldier

    ETF Soldier TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 463   +136

    Ok,so I'll get the PSU, MOBO and CPU first, should I get them all in one or get the PSU and wait for the other 2?
  4. St1ckM4n

    St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,922   +630

    PSU first, because there were a couple new features with Haswell regarding power efficiency. Make sure you get Haswell-compatible PSU.

    @GhostRyder or JC could help you wth this, they're knowledgeable dudes. :)
  5. ETF Soldier

    ETF Soldier TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 463   +136

    That Corsair CX750 should be up to it, it says it's Haswell compatible, it's a trusted brand, high power output and reasonable price. :) Looks like I'm good to go - all I need to do now is acquire the money!
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  6. hopgop1

    hopgop1 TS Booster Posts: 167   +34

    You can do what you like it's your money and your PC, but the prices are only going down and I would wait until you can afford the rest then buy to save a little money.
  7. ETF Soldier

    ETF Soldier TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 463   +136

    I'm not asking permission, I'm asking for advice on compatibility and performance jumps.
  8. hopgop1

    hopgop1 TS Booster Posts: 167   +34

    I wasn't saying that I was saying that the longer you wait the further prices will go down and the more performance you can get for your money.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...