What Video Card Would Work With My PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheety

Hi, I recently bought Medal of Honor: Airborne, and it will not work because it says my video card is not supported. I was hoping someone could recommended one that'll work in my system. I plan to get more games like this in the future. My budget for the card would be anything up to around €200. I live in Ireland.

Here's a picture of the label on my power supply. Not sure what info you need off it.

2007_05240002.jpg

Here's the images from CPU-Z. If I've left out anything please let me know. Thanks.

Memory.jpg

Mainboard.jpg

Cpu.jpg

That computer is a basic, budget Dell 530. It is not really designed for high end video graphics cards.
However, Dell lists these video cards as working with this machine:
ATI Radeon 2400 Pro 128
ATI Radeon 2600 Pro 256
ATI X1300 Pro 256
ATI TVT2
ATI Theatre 650 Pro, and the Pro Combo
NVidea GeForce 8300 GS 128
NVidea GeForce 7300LE 128
NVidea GeForce 8600 GT 256
So anything that matches the specs of the above should work fine... But I would be extremely careful about the power requirements. The Dell power supply will not handle a high-end video graphics card... though you should still be under warranty if it does.

I was thinking of upgrading my pc anyway. What would you recommend could be done to it or would I be better off building one from scratch?

Hey you're from Dublin! I'm just after ordering a Radeon HD 3870 from komplett.ie, my system's not that different from yours, 'cept I just upgraded the PSU to an Antec Earthwatts 430w. There's a pretty good thread here with links to good places for Irish people to order online, komplett.ie is one of a few good places. My advice is to try 'em all. If you've got the money building a new pc from scratch would be great, but can get very expensive very fast. If you want to upgrade your existing system I'd say get a new PSU and graphics card, you have a P4 and 3gigs of RAM, I wouldn't say you're that badly off. Found this on the EA's support site
QUESTION
What are the minimum requirements for Medal of Honor Airborne for PC?
spacer
Answer

o Note: Windows XP Service Pack 2 is required to play the game
* CPU: 2.8 GHz or faster (3.0 GHz or faster for Windows Vista)
* RAM: 1 GB or more
* Disc Drive: 8x or faster DVD-ROM drive
* Hard Drive: 9.0 GB or more free space
* Video: DirectX 9.0c-compatible video card with 128 MB or more memory, Pixel Shader 3.0 support, and one of these chipsets is required:
o ATI Radeon X1300 Pro or greater
o NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT or greater
+ Note: NVIDIA 6800XT/LE, 7100GS, 7200GS/LE, 7300 GS/GT are not supported
o Note: NVIDIA SLI and ATI Crossfire modes are NOT supported, and may have a negative effect on gameplay. In addition, if you have an NVIDIA SLI or ATI Crossfire setup, we recommend you do not use the 'Force Split Frame Rendering' option. This option has been shown to have a negative effect on performance.
* Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
* Input: Keyboard and mouse
* Multiplayer: 2-12 players, requires one disc per PC and a Cable, DSL, or faster connection.
o Note: The game uses UDP port 10000
So it looks like the graphics card is what'll really hold you back. Sure tell us what you're willing to spend. I think the minimum you need to upgrade is your graphics card and maybe PSU.

Sorry, I haven't been on this in a while. I could spend anything upto €300. Are you sure all I'd need to upgrade is the video card and PSU?

Hi mate, im in london, but i would suggest a 8800GT and a HX520W psu from Corsair which should fit your budget. That psu only has 18A on the 12V rail which is insufficient.

Look at www.scan.co.uk for you goods, they have always been good to me.

8800GT @ 214 euro : http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=759408

HX520W Corsair PSU @ 84 euro: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=446788

sorted, well almost, make sure you motherboard supports PCIe 2.0 other than that, within budget and a mean machine.

Bigfella's suggestions look pretty cool, but I'm just worried about a few things:
Raybay's post (2nd in thread) doesn't list the 8800gt as working with your system, now that could be because it's information taken from before the 8800gt's time, or, it could be because it actually doesn't work. I know of no reason why it wouldn't, but best to confirm that it does first.
Your motherboard is probably the same as mine (Dell, built around the same time) so you're probably looking for 24 pin connection from the psu to the mobo, but I'm not sure. Best to confirm that too. Nothing worse than a part arriving, and finding something like that out (believe me I know...)
Anyway, here are his suggestions on a more Irish site, just so you have options.
8800GT
CORSAIR 520W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back