What would you recommend to extend my wi fi signal

ingeborgdot

I need to extend my signal on my router. It is not going as far as I need. The place where I need it has an Ethernet port in the room but I would need to be able to wire from the piece of equipment that I decide to use there. It would probably best be a router unless an access point can have ports to hook up to additional equipment in the room that I already use. I know it is best to stay with the same brand and my router is NETGEAR DGN3500. Can anyone tell me what they would use? Thanks.

Best to use either Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router (disable DHCP,VPN, SPI and NAT)

Example #1 using two Wireless Routers (note interwebs = modem)
359309348.jpg

Example #2 Using Wireless Router with Wireless Client Bridge with Wireless Access Point
359074043.jpg

There are also PowerLine Wireless (one box connects to our router lan port) uses AC power
TL-WPA271KIT(US)-01.jpg

These are the options you can use or just use Access Point which has Wireless features. That would connect to your Router as shown in the first example. Port 1 goes into the single port of Access Points to extend your Wireless where the room is not getting enough single to it.

Your model is also ADSL modem and router all you need to buy is either Powerline set or AP (Wireless Access Point) which has wired LAN connection port.

I have a similar device as the EoP TP-Link and it works just great to get ethernet into remote rooms.

Note: with proper setup, any wifi router will act as an Access Point and they are usually cheaper and easier to find at the local store. tipstir has noted the setup correctly by stating
  • Wireless Router (disable DHCP,VPN, SPI and NAT)
This will rely upon the DHCP and DNS services of your existing DGN3500 and cause all connections to be on the same local lan (normally highly desirable).

If I decide to go the route of a switch to access point do you think it necessary for them to be the same brand? or if I even went with another router route?

Yes it means NO;not necessary - - again, all Eithernet == any & all devices, so find one YOU like :)

I finally broke down and installed a WiFi router to enable iPad access to my other Lan systems & iTunes. The EoP device solved the WD TV Live access(ie wired), but the iPad demands WiFi. The setup discussed above places all devices on the same subnet, which is what I needed.

I actually bought an Access Point. It is a dlink DAP-1522. The problem is I just seem to be too stupid to be able to get it to work? Has anyone tried this AP? Just curious on how to get it to go. I have followed the directions but it just does not seem to work.

That looks better. I even called D-Link and this guy said that if I use it as an AP I can't use the ports on the back to distribute from. I think he is wrong because I kind of got it working and putting out a wireless signal and also from the back ports.

Now this is freaky. I had my AP setup so I thought last night. I had to reboot and it never would or could get back on the internet. Even my actual router would not connect right away to this computer. I came back to the computer just now after sitting around all day, I took it out of sleep mode and it went directly to the AP and connected within 10 seconds. What is going on? .

First, the AP should not have DHCP active AND must not have the same address as your primary router.

Second, power off both the router and the AP - - wait 30 seconds - - power on ONLY the router and get a connection. Open (win/7) Network & Sharing Center and then See Full Map.
You will see PC->Router->Internet

Now power on the AP and wait a full minute; Make sure you have the window focused on the Map and then hit <CTL>f5 and the map should be redrawn with the AP also included.

Holding the mouse over the devices will show the details (specifically we're after the IP address).

The router and the AP should have the first three IP numbers identical (eg: 192.168.1 ) and only the last number should be different (eg: 1 or 254 )

The AP has an address different than the router. I just went into the router and looked up devices and it was listed. The address of the router as you probably know is 01 and the AP was 14. I came home and the AP is still working strong and has not been lost. I don't know what is going on but it is kind of crazy. It could just be my computer too. Who knows.

Back