What's going on with my graphics card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me what's going on with my computer, I've tried to figure it out for hours on end now, and I've got nothing.

Basically, my computer keeps freezing up whenever I try to play certain games, the monitor has all these wierd colours on it; see the attached jpeg if you want to see what it looked like crashing on Empire: Total War.

I can't do anything at all, and I have to force a shut down. There is usually a strange sound accompanying the frozen image onscreen too. The computer works fine with windows 7, and strangely with a few graphically demanding games.

I've downloaded gpu-z to check the temperature of the graphics card, and it is at about 45 C when I'm not doing anything demanding, and runs at about 10 - 20 C higher for the games that work. (I can't check the temp for the games that crash since they crash before I can check). According to the nvidia website the card can take temperatures up to 105 C.

I just bought a new psu to make sure I have enough power going to the card. Checked all my drivers, they're up to date. Even took the card out and cleaned it.

Just to give you an idea of what games work and what doesn't, Fallout 3 & Dragon Age work, Mass Effect & Empire: Total War don't.

I've got nothing folks, any ideas?

Here's the system specs:
AMD Phenom 8750 triple core processor
Trust 570w dual fan psu
pegatron m2n78-la motherboard
1Gb Nvidia geforce 9800gt video card
3 Gb RAM
650Gb SCSI 7200 rpm hard disk

Attachments

• Image021.jpg
    Image021.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 6
Your temps look good. Did you overclock your graphic card or processor?

It looks to me that your GPU is dying, or you probably have hardware/software incompatibility.

I think you're right. Downloaded RivaTuner and activated "motherboard chipset compatibility mode", and I haven't had the problem since. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back