What's the real story on Kasperski AV? Is it safe or not?

gguerra

Been using Kasperski AV at our company for the last six years. I've been hearing from the feds that we should not use it, that they are spying etc. It's coming up for renewal in a few weeks and I'm wondering if I should stick with or start looking for something else.

Anybody have any experience to share?

Should I just stick with what is built in to Windows. Either MS Security Essentials for Win7 or Defender for Win10. The only problem with that is is that there no easy way to administer multiple PC's or is there?

I've heard the "news" and googled and read several articles. I wanted to hear from other users and their perspective. I don't believe the "hype" especially considering the source (the feds). With all this BS we hear about Russian collusion, the feds are obviously biased. Maybe they know something we don't. The company itself denies all allegations of spying. That's why I asked here. But I guess there are no users of Kasperski products here on this board judging from the lack of response. Thanks Anyway.

Well, in that case, I will say I refuse to use it & although I don't remember the name(s), I've seen some TS members saying similiar.

I don't believe the hype either. Also, "spying" on home users is mindless and would be an extremely low ROI.
SPYing per se would be effective for "high value targeted users and companies", like the DOJ, DOD, Pentagon ... not you or me.

The BIGGER question is Identity Theft - - it is real and what are you doing to protect your personal information?
If you post willy-nilly to FB and Twitter all day long, you've almost certainly have let the horse out of the barn by disclosing:
  • a personal picture
  • the location of your residence
  • pictures with location information (aka tracking / stalking info)
  • sharing your contacts with almost anyone
Do you shred your bank statements and utility bills? There's a big payoff in dumpster-diving.

In the Soviet Union, Eugene Kaspersky took a five-year program at:
Институт криптографии, связи и информатики (Institute of Cryptography, Telecommunications and Computer Science).

The institute was also known as технический факультет Высшей школы КГБ СССР (Technical Faculty of the Higher KGB USSR School).

After graduation, Eugene served the Soviet military intelligence service as a software engineer.

Last edited:
Before Kaspersky was targeted by the US, there was a lot of conversation going around stating that Eugene had connections with different programmers and hackers (not to mention, the KGB).
The reason behind this is that once the USSR fell apart in 1991, many hidden programming professionals appeared in Russia at that point.

Anarchy broke out in Russia and money making was easy (if you knew how to trick people into believing you).
Hence, the Russian Mafia was born. Fake banks appeared, promising 5000% in interest rates.

A lot of software engineers, in order to survive, would write viruses and then create antiviruses.
Many state that Kaspersky wrote viruses or others did for him, and that fake malware had been produced for years by the company, in order to look better on the market and fool the competition.

Putting aside the (past?) affiliation of Eugene to Russians intel agencies, so from what I read from the news:

Kaspersky servers were hacked so the attackers could monitor the cloud network (which is responsible of the upload of unknown/malicious files.)

So based on this:

Are you a bad person if someone break into your house, install surveillance camera to spy on your weekly neighbor's reunions?

Putting aside the (past?) affiliation of Eugene to Russians intel agencies, so from what I read from the news:

Kaspersky servers were hacked so the attackers could monitor the cloud network (which is responsible of the upload of unknown/malicious files.)

So based on this:

Are you a bad person if someone break into your house, install surveillance camera to spy on your weekly neighbor's reunions?
Yes!

So based on this:

As a matter of fact, yes!

I really don't know friend. I don't understand why the USA is not upset about this Russian thing.I don't think this is this thread is the place to discuss this issue, so I'm bowing out on this thread . LOL

I've heard the "news" and googled and read several articles. I wanted to hear from other users and their perspective. I don't believe the "hype" especially considering the source (the feds). With all this BS we hear about Russian collusion, the feds are obviously biased. Maybe they know something we don't. The company itself denies all allegations of spying. That's why I asked here. But I guess there are no users of Kasperski products here on this board judging from the lack of response. Thanks Anyway.

I used to be a Kaspersky user. I also used to be a McAfee, Norton, and AVG user.
Kaspersky was the best (at least for me). Although, I always thought that it was too good.

I really don't know friend. I don't understand why the USA is not upset about this Russian thing.I don't think this is this thread is the place to discuss this issue, so I'm bowing out on this thread . LOL

Alright. See you in another thread. Hopefully it doesn't turn into politics like this one did. LOL. :)

I used to be a Kaspersky user. I also used to be a McAfee, Norton, and AVG user.
What are you using. I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes in real time. I also use wireless modem to add to my defenses . LOl I'm also a great believer in OS backups. They will make you a fearless Windows user.

Last edited:
What are you using. I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes in real time. I also use wireless modem to add to my defenses . LOl I'm also a great believer in OS backups. They will make you a fearless Windows user.

OS backups must always be done, IMHO. Not just for Windows users. I am also a firm believer of backups. :D

I would like to welcome you to TS forum. No politics allowed here on TS ROFL!

Linux is a great OS. I'm not familiar with Gufw. I prefer Windows OS.;)

Gufw firewall is a Linux only firewall. So yeah. It's only known to the Linux community.

Hi Friend! Use the knowledge you have learned from others, and pass it forward . That's what TS is all about IMHO. TS also has the best tech news you will need to know about so, you will be up to date on what's going on in the world. LOL

Back