WhatsApp rolls out two-step verification to all users

midian182

Staff member

Despite revealing that it would be sharing more user data with parent company Facebook last year, WhatsApp is still one of the more secure messaging services out there, thanks to its end-to-end encryption. Now, the service is getting a new optional security feature that users should take advantage of.

WhatsApp has started to roll out two-step verification to everyone, the company announced. The feature has been available in a beta version since November, but it’s now appearing to all 1.2 billion users on Android, iOS, and Windows devices.

Like other services that use two-step verification, the process adds an extra layer of security. Once it's enabled, no one will be able to verify your phone number without the six-digit number that's created when activating the feature.

In case you’re the forgetful type, there’s also the option to provide an email address. Should you find yourself unable to recall the number, WhatsApp can send you a link via email to disable the two-step verification.

To help you remember your code, WhatsApp will ask you to enter it when you log into the app once every seven days. If you want to turn the feature on right now, you can do so by heading to Settings > Account > Two-step verification > Enable and activating it - though you may need to update the app first.

WhatsApp is a bit late to the party when it comes to fully implementing two-step verification. It’s been available in other services, including Facebook-owned Instagram, for some time.

Permalink to story.

Wait wait wait... why it needs a 2step authentication?? Can someone use another whatsapp number on their phone or other device???

Wait wait wait... why it needs a 2step authentication?? Can someone use another whatsapp number on their phone or other device???
I can't see the reason for it. When you activate your number on a device, WhatsApp sends a SMS to that number to verify it. Anyway I've enabled it, I'll see what gives.

I can't see the reason for it. When you activate your number on a device, WhatsApp sends a SMS to that number to verify it. Anyway I've enabled it, I'll see what gives.
I know right? To me that felt like the 2nd step authentication (Or well... one and only but the most common sense one, sure someone could clone your number but not before knowing it because your whatsapp won't be activated in more than one phone at a time, or unless someone actually gets access to your phone and opens a web.whatsapp session, but with physical access to the device they could use the 2nd step authentication anyhow... long story short, I'm still not getting the idea, unless they open whatsapp as a web-service no phone required, which could be good, but then again, web.whatsapp has it covered, odd...).

I know right? To me that felt like the 2nd step authentication (Or well... one and only but the most common sense one, sure someone could clone your number but not before knowing it because your whatsapp won't be activated in more than one phone at a time, or unless someone actually gets access to your phone and opens a web.whatsapp session, but with physical access to the device they could use the 2nd step authentication anyhow... long story short, I'm still not getting the idea, unless they open whatsapp as a web-service no phone required, which could be good, but then again, web.whatsapp has it covered, odd...).
Just like you, I don't see the sense of it either but I'm trying it out it anyway. Besides 2 step verification is a good thing and a little extra security can't go amiss.

I've set up the two step verification but the only thing I've noticed is that it'll ask you for your PIN randomly. A good thing if a stranger gets their hands on your device, they won't have access to your 'saucy videos and suggestive messages'. It'll just be my luck that if that ever happens to me, the app won't ask for the PIN at that particular time.:D

Back