When I log into my computer. it logs me out

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalgoD

I am using Windows XP. My computer will boot up normally. Once I enter my password. It will start to load my settings then immediately start saving my settings and log me out. I have attempted to sign in in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt. it does the exact same. I do not know what to do. Help please

Do you have your XP CD?

You may just need to run a CheckDisk on your system

This can be performed by booting from your XP CD
Then selecting R for the Recovery Console
Then select 1 for the Administrator account
Then select Enter to continue
(Usually no password required)

On the Recovery Console (a Dos black screen) type in:

chkdsk C: /F

If this does not work try:

chkdsk C: /R

Note there is one space after C: in the above command

Once Check Disk has finished checking and hopefully repairing any issues, type Exit, and restart your computer normally.

Do not boot from the Windows CD, which can be now removed

Hopefully Windows boots up normally again :grinthumb

Either way, please let me know :)

Thanks for your quick response. I do not have a Windows XP CD. I wish I did. Everyone else in the house is using Vista. But none of us have a disc.

Are you using the welcome screen?

I remember running across this issue years ago - try pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE + DELETE at the welcome screen to bring up the username and password prompt. What happens if you try and log in that way?

thanks for the download. I burned the cd. Now I get the message in the dos prompt. Floppy diskette seek failure. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility. when i strike F1 I am experiencing the same problem as before. there is no floppy disk drive installed on this computer.

Well that's just some totally unrelated message ;)

Press F2 (Bios Setup), locate Floppy (enabled) and then Disable it
Also locate the Boot sequence, and change it to boot from CD as the first bootable option
Save and Exit Bios Setup (usually just press F10 for this ;) )

Restart

Then continue to boot from your newly burnt disc

thanks i tried pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE + DELETE. It signed me in and out. It is really stressing me. I take all my college courses online and I have assignments due today. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

It's not bad luck not owning your Windows CD though (or re-install image)
Next time when you get a computer make sure to have this too, it's also a legal requirement for any user having Windows installed on their computer ;)

Anyway, please continue with my previous reply about the boot sequence in Bios Setup

I have come to the Windows XP setup program. if i set up XP will i lose my files? or should i repair? in the repair section it asks 1: C:\WINDOWS which Windows installation would you like to log onto (To cancel, press ENTER)? as we say in the deep south, I am beduzzled.

I posted that here ;)
Then select 1 for the Administrator account
Then select Enter to continue
(Usually no password required)

On the Recovery Console (a Dos black screen) type in:

chkdsk C: /F

If this does not work try:

chkdsk C: /R

Note there is one space after C: in the above command

Once Check Disk has finished checking and hopefully repairing any issues, type Exit, and restart your computer normally.

Do not boot from the Windows CD, which can be now removed

Hopefully Windows boots up normally again :grinthumb

Either way, please let me know :)

Please note: The disc you are presently using, cannot install Windows, and is not intended to do so
Only a Windows Setup disc can install Windows ;)

I have come as far as chkdsk. it will check the disk but will not let me enter the c: /f or /r part of the command. all the commands are in capital letters, didn't know which one I should try...

i have gotten as far as the chkdsk. all commands are in caps. and it will not let me submit the c: /f or /r. I checked my progress after I performed the chkdsk and there is not change. there are other commands but I didn't know which to perform there is a FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, RD.

try this ;)

chkdsk C: /?

Remember the space after C: of course
This will help you know what is the best command to do

it started recovering and is 57% complete...I will keep you posted and thanks...

Mike I have XP Pro. the pc was given to me by a friend. that is why i don't have a disc for it and don't know much about what I am doing.

well after all is said and done I am still having the same problem. should I have the disk just re-install Windows? are there any other means of restoring without losing all my files?

i don't have one. i tried to use the boot up disk that I made earlier. but it wouldn't let me. it asked could not find a license. so what does the fixboot command do?

Well if you don't have one then you can't reinstall or repair install.

Fixboot is a Recovery console command and is not indicated here as Windows is trying to boot so it has loaded.

In the Advanced boot menu (location of Safe Mode) did you try the "Last known good.."

If not try that now.

Mike

it asked could not find a license. so what does the fixboot command do?
The rc.iso disc is free, and there's no asking of licenses required

Fixboot fixes boot problems, not log in problems (which is way after the boot part)

The Ultimate BootCD https://www.techspot.com/vb/post722281-20.html
Will help you backup freely, and you can even use this disc to scan for malware

Please do that, but lets hope it doesn't take stacks of replies to try this 1 idea

Idea 3 will come after that ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back