Where Did My TV Guide Listings GO?

captaincranky

Since none of my televisions are "smart", in the current context of the term, I am of the habit of firing up Windows Media Center, and using the program listings there.

I updated the guide, and it appears that none of my local OTA station's program information is available. All WMC says is, "no data available".

Is this some legal nonsense I managed to miss, which possibly has just recently taken effect?:confused:

Has WMC programming guide become a subscription service? Little help here...

I don't use WMC, but here's the troubleshooting guide and the Geek-How-To (but expect you know this stuff).

Old info on the subject:
At first when I started wmc it stated that error was corrected, but when it tired to download guide data I got the old message
frown.gif

Will try to remove tv and re-run the setup...
That's what happened to me and I reran setup, which worked for me.

OK, @jobeard thanks for publishing those links. I'm not WMC dependent, so the last time I went through the setup procedure was when I installed the tuner, several years ago.

I "reconfigured" the TV settings, using the exact same information which was already in place, my zip code and all. Then WMC decided it wasn't hooked up to the internet. Click, click, now it is, and I have my guide listings back, yay!(y)

A couple of weeks ago, the computer's BIOS, "blew up". (Check sum error)? It failed to post a few times, kept shutting off and restarting, then booted normally. Ostensibly it recovered the check sum from the backup BIOS. (Gigabyte board).

Thanks again. Now I'll know in advance when I should avoid ION TV, like when they're having a "Ghost Whisperer" marathon.

Thanks, that's pretty cool. Although I expect you have to register before you can change the TV market to your locale. It apparently defaults to NYC. Not a big deal, you just have to "shop by network", not by channel number.

WMC is really quirky. I have another Win 7 computer sitting right next to the one with the guide issues. So I figured I'd process of elimination diagnose the one computer by downloading the program guide to the other.

Apparently, WMC won't let you download its guide listings unless it detects a tuner in the machine. That's simply rude.

All I did is enter my zip code & make up a username/password & ISP I think it was & I've been using it for 6 years now & only changed the zip code . Try it, you may like it :)

BEWARE of the Ghost of Xmas Past ---
No, it's actually beware the ghost of what Jennifer Love Hewitt used to look like in her early 20's. Because all your expectations are about to be shattered. Oddly, I very much enjoy reruns of "The Listener", which has an absurd plot line. (Toby Logan solves crime by reading minds). But "The Ghost Whisperer", really fails to allow any suspension of disbelief whatsoever.. So now, they've, "look who's joining the cast-ed", Love-Hewitt into "Criminal Minds". She's completely unbelievable in the part of a crack FBI profiler, not to mention being about 16 months pregnant. You don't know whether to praise 16:9 TV for getting all her backside up on the screen, or wish they'd co back to 4:3 and clip off her saddlebags....:mad: I swear they're trying to tank the show's ratings for the next round of contract negotiations

Oh well, it saves me a little money on the electric bill, since the TV doesn't go on until 10:00PM, prime time Wednesday...

That had nothing to do with the topic, did it? Oh well, I get that way sometimes....:D

Last edited:
Back