Which gaming headset to get?

Burty117

Hi All,

Just was wondering what people use and why when it comes to gaming headsets.
I have never personally owned a pair (I've always used good sound systems, current one is a Bose Companion 5) But now I've got enough friends playing on PC that have headsets and I recently put my Ultimate Ears Monitors in to play Half-Life and BF3 and the sound was absolutely epic!

I am prepared to spend "up-to" £120, however I would rather more £80.
I was looking into the below:

http://www.asus.com/Peripherals_Accessories/HeadphonesHeadset/Vulcan_ANC/

Does anyone else have a particular brand/Headset they would swear by?

All suggestions welcome as I plan on buying a pair in the next month or two.

I have the Logitech G35 and would really recommend it. The programmable buttons and volume slider on the side are very useful. Also you don't need to buy a separate sound card as it's incorporated into the headset.

Wouldn't recommend the Razer Carcharias, tried them and returned them. No bass and if it wasn't for the brand you wouldn't shell out more than £30 on them.

From what I hear the Corsair headsets are very good but haven't tried them personally.

Noise cancelling is pretty redundant for a gaming headset, I think you'll find that as long as you have a decent seal around your ears you won't be able to hear your fans even if they are on maximum.

Awesome thank you!

I expected the G35 to get recommended! Seems it sold rather well.
I've heard great things for the Sennheiser as well and i've even used my friends £30 ones which were actually very impressive. Decisions!

The Sennheiser headset that costs around 300 (or did a few months back) is my favorite by FAR. The only downside is that they are open so they may not be for you. But even being open, the Bass is great.

Keep in mind I'm an audio (QUALITY) lover. I have a pair of Audio Technica AD700's that i loved at first, until I heard these Senns my buddy has.

Haha! yeah I'm usually an Audio lover as well, I've got a pair of Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi Pro's that cost me near enough that and they sound absolutely fantastic!

However, I'm not really prepared to sink that kinda money into anything right now, had my car smashed that I need to pay for etc... So can only afford around £80-£120 ish.

But your saying that Senn's are probably a good bet?

Fully understandable, I can't seem to pull that Senn link up yet, but I will respond to that when I can.

However Sennheiser is LOVED by many, many audiophiles. So yeah, I'd say it's a good bet!

Actually I've changed my mind, The Asus ones still look like the better bet over the Senns.

I'm going to be fretting about this for weeks to come :S

It's all preference. The Senn has virtual surround sound, while the Asus doesn't, and in my experience the surround sound is good but not perfect and not for everyone.

Surround sound is great for gaming, it helps a lot in FPS games. But music always sounds best in stereo.

Back