Which iPad Model Should You Get?

I upgraded my iPad 6th gen to an iPad Pro M1 this year and it’s amazing. But the fact is you run the same apps. Most people don’t need more than the base iPad and yeah it doesn’t have an anti reflective coating, it’s not as if you can sit on a sunny beach with an iPad Pro and watch a movie. Face ID is so much better than Touch ID on an iPad as it’s not always to hand. And the speakers are unbelievably good on the pro. The processor is so fast that web browsing feels like operating a menu.

M1 ipad pros still make no sense at all, specially the 11 inch: that one you have almost no reason to get over the ipad air: it might perform better in theory, in practice you either won't notice or if you do you'll notice the clunky and stupid OS getting in the way of actual professional work.

The one caveat is professional image work since the 12.9 m1 pro really has a superb screen. But it still means if you're a pro illustrator, photographer, etc. And want a companion well, you'd be crazy to work 100% of the time on just an ipad pro: multi tasking it's still on it's infancy, file management is still on it's infancy, it's just not a good idea but if you must have this quality of screen on exactly this form factor (Meaning a tablet and not a laptop) then there really is no other option.

Overall to any saavy consumers the ipad air is the better choice overall and for average users the regular ipad saves a chunk of money and it's good enough for what it does (though imho not better than the more widescreen friendly tablets from Samsung)

M1 ipad pros still make no sense at all, specially the 11 inch: that one you have almost no reason to get over the ipad air: it might perform better in theory, in practice you either won't notice or if you do you'll notice the clunky and stupid OS getting in the way of actual professional work.

The one caveat is professional image work since the 12.9 m1 pro really has a superb screen. But it still means if you're a pro illustrator, photographer, etc. And want a companion well, you'd be crazy to work 100% of the time on just an ipad pro: multi tasking it's still on it's infancy, file management is still on it's infancy, it's just not a good idea but if you must have this quality of screen on exactly this form factor (Meaning a tablet and not a laptop) then there really is no other option.

Overall to any saavy consumers the ipad air is the better choice overall and for average users the regular ipad saves a chunk of money and it's good enough for what it does (though imho not better than the more widescreen friendly tablets from Samsung)
I disagree. I tried the iPad Air in the shop and the screen is only 60hz and it’s massively noticeable against the iPad Pro. The iPad Air also doesn’t have the amazing speakers like the ones on the iPad Pro.

The iPad Air makes the least sense, if you are getting 256gb versions then It’s only about $100 less than the pro and quite a lot more than the base iPad.

Also the iPad Air doesn’t have thunderbolt which is quite a big deal If you use external SSDs like I do.

Mini has no alternative now, even among Android devices. I was able to find some 2 years old Android tablets, though, for the price of mini 5.

It's much easier to hold 7-8" tablet in one hand while being on a couch, for example. So I'm definitely on small tablet side for typical content consumtion.

PS 7.7" mentioned in the article err.

The base iPad is probably best for most users. I think the iPad Air is a poor value right now. It needs an update. $599 for only an A14 and 64GB just isn't good value. It needs a bump to A15 and 128GB.

First of all - as a PC and Android user (thinking of buying an iPad for the second time - if only to train myself how to use one, since I offer tech support to Seniors) - I thought THIS article, compared to so many others, was EXCELLENT! It cut through the chaff and got to the core of each comparison metric that interested me - save one: Weight.

I was hoping to get a lighter tablet if I do this, but I did not find much advantage with a product called 'Air' that I had hoped for - not when comparing similar screen sizes. I also would like to know if any of the new screens make a digital magazine look "that" much better.

I agree on the comment about the extreme premium for the larger memory sizes. Jeez! Talk about a rip-off, there!

I was also hoping for insight into whether or not the "anti-reflective" screens really are, well, anti-reflective. I guess I will have to find a Best Buy to see for myself.

But THANK YOU for an otherwise EXCELLENT comparison of the models. I still have not decided.

First of all - as a PC and Android user (thinking of buying an iPad for the second time - if only to train myself how to use one, since I offer tech support to Seniors) - I thought THIS article, compared to so many others, was EXCELLENT! It cut through the chaff and got to the core of each comparison metric that interested me - save one: Weight.

I was hoping to get a lighter tablet if I do this, but I did not find much advantage with a product called 'Air' that I had hoped for - not when comparing similar screen sizes. I also would like to know if any of the new screens make a digital magazine look "that" much better.

I agree on the comment about the extreme premium for the larger memory sizes. Jeez! Talk about a rip-off, there!

I was also hoping for insight into whether or not the "anti-reflective" screens really are, well, anti-reflective. I guess I will have to find a Best Buy to see for myself.

But THANK YOU for an otherwise EXCELLENT comparison of the models. I still have not decided.
Thank you for your comment. You are right about the Air -- it's not much lighter than the base iPad -- it's mostly thinner. About the magazines, it really depends on what you read, where and when. About the anti-reflective coating, let's say that you'll still see the sun reflected from your screen, but you'll also be able to see other things.

The iPad mini would be perfect for me...if it wasn't for that TFT screen.

Apple hates OLED and mini-LED isn't coming to their lower end tablets anytime soon (if ever), so I'm not in the market for the iPads right now. :/

Back