Which Service controls the XP visual theme?

BlackScarlet

I recently noticed a lot of services running on my machine, and in an effort to save resources, disabled a lot of them. I did this all by doing research on each one to see which was necessary, so I didn't think I had done anything out of line, but when I restarted, my XP themes were reverted back to the win98 style, see screenshot.

Does anyone know which of the services provides this style? It's not practical to go through each of them and restart the computer each time...
See screenshot for list of services I've kept enabled, and which I disabled.

Also, strangely, I kept Task Scheduler enabled, but when I restarted it wasn't working, and in the Services tab it now says Stopped. How come? I never disabled it.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• visual.PNG
    visual.PNG
    141 KB · Views: 5
  • services.png
    services.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 5
I'm trying to understand your problem - your visual.png shows nothing but a normal firefox screen, which is not affected by XP themes. Firefox has it's own themes.

The services.png shows task scheduler and themes as both stopped. To start them, click start, run, then in the box type msconfig and press enter. On the services tab, just click to enable those two services, click ok and reboot.

Themes are now active. To regain whatever theme you wanted, right-click an empty part of the desktop and select properties. The first tab is 'themes' and the one for a win98 look is called 'windows classic' - presumably you want something else....

Back