Which Vista to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultiweap

Hi,

I have a HP Compaq dx2300 Microtower with a Dual Core 1.80GHz, 1GB RAM DDR2, 160GB HDD, Intel 945GZ Express Family Chipset(Graphics), HD Audio Card, DVD Writer with Lightscribe and actually Windows XP Pro SP3 installed.

I already install Vista Ultimate on it before but the problem was that I takes too much of RAM that annoy me a lot whereas XP is fine. I would like to know if it is because of Vista Ultimate that it is like that(Windows Aero activated) Even I switch to Windows Vista Basic theme it is still high. But I would like to know if I choose another Version of Vista if it will change that? Because when i play a game it seems to be slower than on XP.

What Version of Vista need I choose? Or Should I remain on XP?
Thanks in advance for the help
Ultiweap

Not much. One of the basics of VISTA is that it requires significantly more memory.

The main question is, Do you really have a need for VISTA. Most users do not. Yet.

Then of course, one doesn't want to pay for WXP... cost of memory is about the same as the switch, and perhaps not all Compaq drivers for VISTA will work on XP... and they may not offer drivers at all for XP. Though Compaq sells an XP set for some computers for under $40 including shipping.

Before one changes from VISTA to WXP, scan the Compaq site for your machine carefully to assure that you can get the drivers you need.

For the Drivers all is ok... I have all for Vista and all for XP but the problem is that I would like to know if I choose Windows Vista Home Premium or Basic will the performance be a great difference than on Ultimate?

Because I have a DVD of Vista for all version but did not know what to choose and want to install Vista for the style and new option.

No, from Vista to Vista, regardless of edition, you're looking at minor differences in system performance. Your best bet with a rig of that capacity is to stick with Windows XP. If you can't, double your ram - a small dollar investment for a huge speed boost with Vista.

For the RAM it is ok as I have 1GB... Vista is good on my PC and I don't have any problem with it but the only thing is that Vista take a lot of RAM and I'm a little annoy of that it may reduce the lifetime or even break it if use too much. This can happen?

no that will not happen but 1GB of ram is small for anything today. 2 GB is acceptable for XP and at least 3 for Vista. and with the video u are running u are using some of u're mem. for that.

Ok.... But you know a RAM is very expensive here in Mauritius and I would like to know if there a place on the net where I can get it cheaper, because here in Mauritius A 1GB DDR2 RAM is Rs 6000 woth $217... So it is a little difficult to but one. Or even if someone is selling one I will be glad to buy one.

Thanks in advance for the help you gave...
Hope I can found a RAM

We can work out a way to get the memory to you at a fair price... once we find out shipping costs to Mauritius. Give me the city where you live.

amagnien said:
For the RAM it is ok as I have 1GB... Vista is good on my PC and I don't have any problem with it but the only thing is that Vista take a lot of RAM and I'm a little annoy of that it may reduce the lifetime or even break it if use too much. This can happen?
No.

Check out the Windows Vista Memory Tweak Guide.

It's possible to get a usable Vista installation even with less than 512 MB of RAM.

Ok I check all the website you gave me and one give me good results but it is still too much for the moment as I just buy a need HDD and i'm already keeping money to buy me a new graphic card, so I will take some time to buy the RAM (will need to remain like that for some time) Then when I will get enough money to buy my new RAM will contact you raybay. Thanks for the help you gave me Mictlantecuhtli I will try that the guide ask and will ask later the results.

Raybay will contact you when I will have enough money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back