Why can't I use the VGA port on my PC?

Hi there,

Hardware details:

Old monitor: Acoustic Solutions astvd3119ws LCD
New monitor: BenQ G950A LCD
Motherboard: [FONT=arial]GA-MA78LMT-US2H (made by Gigabyte Technology Co.,Ltd.)[/FONT]
Graphics Card: [FONT=arial]ATI Radeon HD 5670 Graphics (made by Advanced Micro Devices Inc)[/FONT]

Having received a new monitor for Christmas I was hoping to setup a dual monitor display, not duplicate screens but an extended desktop.

The old monitor is connected to the DVI port using a VGA to DVI adapter.

I connected the monitor to the VGA port on the PC and the screen changed from 'No cable connected' to 'No signal detected'. Upon powering up the PC this message did not change and the monitor sends itself into standby mode.

Now when I remove the old monitors VGA cable from the DVI adapter and put the new monitors VGA cable in, it immediately wakes up and shows my desktop.

Now I went into the 'AMD VISION Engine Control Center' and had a look at Properties (VGA Display) and got the following information under Monitor Information:

Display Data Channel (DDC): Not Supported
Display Name: Not Supported
Maximum reported resolution: Not Supported
Maximum reported refresh rate: Not Supported

So now I'm wondering if my VGA is disabled (and if so how would I go about turning it back on) also I read about monitors being connected either through the motherboard or the graphics card but I don't know how to find out this information, or even fully understand it if I'm honest.

So that's where I'm up to. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. If I've left out vital information then just let me know and I'll try an find it out for you!

Thanks in advance

On many PCs with DVI capability, it is an either / or proposition; you can use DVI or VGA but not both at the same time.

On many PCs with DVI capability, it is an either / or proposition; you can use DVI or VGA but not both at the same time.

The problem I've always had is that the VGA port has never worked. I took the side of the tower and the VGA is connected to the motherboard whilst the DVI is connected to the graphics card. I'm going to restart the PC now and see if VGA is disabled in the BIOS.

Disconnect the DVI from the motherboard / gpu so it is not found at boot time

Back