Why does 42 MP camera and 16 or 12 MP have equal result? (not of same company)

Blaze049

Nokia lumia 1020 has 42mp camera while samsung galaxy S4 or S5 have 16-22 mp but the quality of both is same????

One of the reasons might be our eyesight, once an image is at about 12MP, it is thought that our eyes can't see any better quality than that, on a screen.
In any case most of us don't have any use for images on a phone of more than about 4 or 5 MP, the screens can't show any more detail.
The higher MP camera sensors do make bigger image files, and if you can print A1 or A2 size pictures then the quality might be seen.

Pixel counts for causal viewing quickly become insignificant as noted by @mike1949

#background-desktop-publishing:
However, high qualify printing is another matter. First the DPI settings for the image separations are massively important. Video(screen) is about 72 / 92 dpi depending on the platform. Sending an image to a desktop printer really needs 180 dpi and frequently defaults to 300dpi - - and that's still lame!

Sending color separations to a print house (say National Geographic) and they will demand greater than 120dpi.

A REAL photographer that earns his/her bread will not be playing with the typical digital device but have the latest DSLR (Digital Single Lense Reflect) and have invested $$$$ in that kind of equipment.

I was reading something about a 38(?)Mp phone. Supposedly, the phone only captures @ 5Mp (?) and the rest of the sensor's capacity is only used in raw file and/or zoom.

I'm sorry this is so vague, but I have 3 Nikon DSL's and no phone. (Four if you count my broken D-80):D

Another reason for the large CCD sensors in mobile/cell phones now, is that they are so much cheaper to make than just a few years ago.
What would make the biggest difference to a phone's image quality is a better lens in front of the sensor, but as phones are so thin, it's difficult to make lenses fit into that limited space.
The point of jpeg image processing was to reduce the memory needed to store images on camera cards, which were expensive to make, 10 or 15 years ago.
Today cards are so much cheaper to make and buy, that it's thought to be acceptable to have every photo taking up 6 or 7 MB each on the memory card (!!)
So we have phones with large image sensors, and poor lenses.
I suppose the idea is to do all the 'zooming' and editing in the image editor because the lenses are not yet up to the quality of even an average camera lens.
Why would they be, they are phones.

Last edited:
Back