1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Wifi Icon not showing

By AlaAbid ยท 8 replies
Jan 1, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi , since I reinstalled windows 7, am not seeing the wifi icon anymore , all I see is the ethernet icon with a red cross , even though am connected to a wifi, here is a screenshot http://prntscr.com/2fpmcu , I've tried a lot of tips ,posted in alot of forums , but none helped , I have the network icon enabled on the Notification Area Icons , but still doesnt work, I hope u'll give me a solution here , am already tired of this thing , annoying .
    Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. REDEMPSON

REDEMPSON TS Rookie

Hmmmm.... wifi connections are not showing on my windows 8, updated to 8.1, I have tried all means but to no avail. I can only access the internet through ethenet cable. I need your help

3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,493   +1,430

Get to your Device Mgr, expand the Network Adapters
    and look for BOTH the wired and wifi drivers. Neither should have yellow or red marks

4. REDEMPSON

REDEMPSON TS Rookie

I check and from my device manager, I only see Realtek PCle GBE Family Controller and nothing else

5. GaryMove

GaryMove TS Enthusiast Posts: 146   +10

I have no such issue on my Win7.
    The icon is so important for you, even more than wifi connection?

6. REDEMPSON

REDEMPSON TS Rookie

if the icon cannot be located, I don't think I can get Wi-Fi connection

7. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,622   +560

You don't need to see the icon to get wifi,

8. jack_alexander

jack_alexander TS Enthusiast Posts: 29

Years ago I had a problem with a program icon showing up in the taskbar notification area. The program writer suggested ctr-alt-delete to log off and login again. I still use this trick today as I have lots of icons down there and I hate it when one (or more fails to show up). It would require me to open 'System Explorer' and search out the processes of the missings and stop them and then hunt for them in the startmenu. When I have a problem getting the wi-fi and sound icons it is much easier to log out and log back in. (Windows 8.1, XP when I learned the trick.
    Good luck. Surf safe....

9. REDEMPSON

REDEMPSON TS Rookie

I'm OK now. A friend told to use Driver pack sololution. I did and worked perfect