Wifi into metal building?

I currently have wifi in my house, but I would like to get the connection into a metal building that is around 40 feet from my router. The plan for the metal building is to use it as a man cave. Therefore the internet speeds would have to be adequate for gaming and streaming movies. There is a window on the metal building that faces towards the house. My original idea was to put a wireless repeater in the window and transmit it into the building that way. However I've heard that using a wireless repeater will greatly decrease the Internet speeds, so it's possible that it wouldn't be fast enough to stream or game. What is the easiest and best way to get the Internet into the metal building?

My original idea was to put a wireless repeater in the window and transmit it into the building that way. However I've heard that using a wireless repeater will greatly decrease the Internet speeds
hmm; Not at all certain that is true.

put the house router at one end of the channel list and the repeater at the other.

option (2): Use an EoP device with the master at the house and the slave in the man cave.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think I can use a power line because I think they run off of two different mains. The man cave and the house have two separate breaker boxes.

How do I know if it's on different mains? They have different breaker boxes. Does that mean they are on different mains

The man cave and the house have two separate breaker boxes.
How do I know if it's on different mains? They have different breaker boxes. Does that mean they are on different mains

If the two boxes are being fed by the same service poll, you may still be within the same circuit. It is the step-down transformers on the Power Polls that will isolate your signal.

Edit: You could ask a local Electrician for an answer to your question. They will be more likely to give you a correct response, since they know how your region is electrically setup.

Usually, there is one feed from the supply to the box where the meter is located. Any second box (called a sub-pannel) most often connects to the box with the meter.

If you have multiple meters, then, you have two billings and two independent mains.

I'm going to go with the powerline adapters. However I want to be able to use wifi on my phone. What do I need to connect the power line adapter to inside the shed to be able to have wifi. Will a wireless repeater work as a access point if the powerline adapter is plugged into it.

Our location:
Two houses, one with a shop, all three have their own meter head and main box. And all three are on the same circuit being fed by the same poll. The mains are not circuits being isolated from sharing line frequencies but they are being billed independently.

What do I need to connect the power line adapter to inside the shed to be able to have wifi. Will a wireless repeater work as a access point if the powerline adapter is plugged into it.
My setup is similar to get wifi at the other end of the house --
  • router=EoP . . . EoP---Wifi.router--wired--HDtv
This allows wifi access nicely. As posted elsewhere, when you have multiple wifi routers, set each to different channels to avoid interfering with yourself

Back