WiFi Problem

Hey guys, this is my first thread and I don't know if it is in the right place.

I have a problem, I have a laptop and usually when I'm gaming I use Ethernet. But when I wanna just browse the internet on the couch or something my WiFi will not be shown in the list, I know my Driver is working because it will find my neighbours WiFi and the one at my moms house. How can I fix this, my internet still works through Ethernet though. I think the problem has something to do with having WiFi and Ethernet on on the same time, I use to have my Ethernet cable connected and turn WiFi on so that I won't be disconnected from example Skype or something. If anyone knows a good way of solving this problem I will apreciate your help.

Thanks,
Guus W

You need to disconnect the wired ethernet to allow the wifi to make a connection.

You can even just unplug the cable :)

You say the wifi "sees" the neighbor's router but not yours?

Seeing the neighbor's clearly shows the wifi device is operational and the antenna is active, so that kind of implicates that your router is not properly configured.

The router needs to enable wifi and broadcast the SSID - - can you verify that is true?

Seeing the neighbor's clearly shows the wifi device is operational and the antenna is active, so that kind of implicates that your router is not properly configured.

The router needs to enable wifi and broadcast the SSID - - can you verify that is true?

If you mean that other computers/mobiles can access it? If that is what you mean the answer is YES, I'm connected on my mobile so are my dad and such. Also other PC's are connected through WiFi.

Wow. massively inconsistent, isn't it!

do you SEE your router and just can't connect or is it not showing up in the list of available connections?

Is it possible that the wifi adapter is attempting mode-N only connections?
The most common wifi is the G-mode and several routers (and wifi adaptors) now support a/b/g/n modes.

If the wifi adaptor was set for N mode only, then that would be an entirely different frequency (5ghz vs 2.4ghz).

Is it possible that the wifi adapter is attempting mode-N only connections?
The most common wifi is the G-mode and several routers (and wifi adaptors) now support a/b/g/n modes.

If the wifi adaptor was set for N mode only, then that would be an entirely different frequency (5ghz vs 2.4ghz).

Where can I see this?

Try device manager->network adapters->wifi->properties

Only thing I can see is this:

dzas94.png

(The VBox thing is enabled now)

Ok. The Raklink device supports b/g/n modes so it should find any router.

I notice both AVG & Comodo have filters on the adaptor - - make sure that only one of them has the firewall active.
Use AVG for anti-virus and Comodo for firewall AND make sure the windows firewall is disabled.

I've seen man posts complaining about AVG in the last three months and you might try disabling or uninstalling it.

Ok. The Raklink device supports b/g/n modes so it should find any router.

I notice both AVG & Comodo have filters on the adaptor - - make sure that only one of them has the firewall active.
Use AVG for anti-virus and Comodo for firewall AND make sure the windows firewall is disabled.

I've seen man posts complaining about AVG in the last three months and you might try disabling or uninstalling it.

Sorry for my late reply. I've tried disableing AVG, it still doesn't work. It can find any other router though. If this gives you any help: My router is a: ZTE H220N

All references to ZTE H220N are not in English, so that's not effective for me (sorry).

With the two facts
a) other PCs can connect to your router
and
b) your pc can connect to other routers

I'm at a loss to explain the onconsistency. My last "grasping at straw" suggestion would be to find the latest driver for your WiFi adaptor on the failing computer, down load it, uninstall the existing one and then install the updated version. Beyond that - - I don't know what else to say.

Go into System Device Manager and uninstall the WiFi driver but don't delete the driver off your system. Then reboot the system and let Windows rebuild your driver setup. You'll have to connect to your SSID and enter the passcode (password)
try it again!

I'm sure this is obvious, but just in case - - is the WiFi device active -- I mean is the slide switch on or the proper Fn key active so you see nearby routers?

Back